Having trouble opening my Cartridge filter

Aug 14, 2015
Okemos, MI
I'm having difficulty closing/opening my cartridge filter (pic below). It is very difficult to get to "seal", so I have to tighten it way beyond "hand tight". Then when I try to open it up to clean the filter, it is suctioned on so tight that I have to get a hammer claw and pry it open -- which is slowly damaging the lip.

Any advice on how to make this easier? I'm cleaning it often as I'm in the middle of a SLAM!!

Definitely use pool silicone on that O-ring that goes around the two halves. Be careful about over-tightening the knob at the top. Once that breaks, or something inside, it can be a pain to get apart. I also like to put a little pool lube on the tip of the long threaded bolt that goes to the top (inside) that the knob screws onto as well.

Definitely use pool silicone on that O-ring that goes around the two halves. Be careful about over-tightening the knob at the top. Once that breaks, or something inside, it can be a pain to get apart. I also like to put a little pool lube on the tip of the long threaded bolt that goes to the top (inside) that the knob screws onto as well.
Ah, another great idea. I got the pool silicone last night and after cleaning the filter, I coated generously. Seemed to go together much easier. I'll try to open it tonight and see if it works better.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.