Have done bleach method for a while, got lazy, wondering what else is less work!

Oct 16, 2015
Kelowna BC
Hi! So I've done the bleach method for a while now, and it's definitely cheaper, but it's very tedious. I found I was adding bleach twice a day, and then always having to remember to add after we would come out of the hot tub. There were days I neglected, then found out that FC was pretty much 0. There were also times we were away, 4-5 days, maybe sometimes a week--where I'd have to remember to shock it to like 12 before I left.

I just did another clean with AHH-some and have refilled. I'm adding the dichlor granules right now for the last few days--I know having a floater with tablets eventually raises the CYA too high, but I'd like to have something like that, that I can just put in and forget about for a while--maybe just test once a week or so. Any suggestions for the lazy hot tub guy that's a bit tired of the bleach method? Thanks for any help!!

For a hot tub you can switch to bromine, or you can stay with dichlortrichlor tablets and ditch the water when the CYA is too high. Nothing out there is set and forget, but if you can commit to changing your water regularly you can make dichlor/trichlor work. You will need to check the chemistry more often as you get close to the CYA limit, or else a nasty rash may remind you its time to change the water!

People here have done both a mini stenner-style pump for liquid chlorine, or a drop in SWCC like the above link.

My understanding tough is that both of those are great for maintaining a steady FC when the tub is not in use. You still have to add a dose of chlorine or MPS after each use, but not otherwise.

I have a frog bromine floater. I test it weekly. It seems pretty consistent. The annoying thing, is the floater lasts less than a month (24 +/- days). So when it runs out I find out when I have no FC [emoji853]

I've been thinking about trying a a salt system: Saltron Mini Hot Tub Salt Water Sanitizing System | SpaDepot.com

But I don't know anyone that has it or if it works well
I got one for my rotospa and it's great. Only been about a month but haven't had to do anything else...

I have installed this SWG (the older style without the auto sensing) and it works perfect.. They have a great warranty and are great to work. with. They are a small company so its better to email them if you need to warranty something...

I have number 00004 and have been using it for 3 years, here is my original thread Controlomatic Megachlor install in 700 gallon hot tub

I have sent mine in to be updated 2 times as it stopped working.. both times they have fixed and upgraded mine to the newest model/firmware... the firmware is/has been perfect since the latest update over 2 years ago...

If I was going to buy one today I would get the sensing one and install it just like I did :)

I'll just second the bromine suggestion especially if you have an ozone generator. Purge with ahhsome, establish the bank. Use dichlor a little longer than the calculation suggests, and I'm happy as a clam. Very low maintenance cause ozone makes bromine .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.