Have algae on walls - test shows high TA

Hi again - I've finished the SLAM (CC = 0, passed the over night test, no visible algae) so I'm letting the chlorine level go back to normal.
Here are my numbers:
pH = 7.2
TC = 7
TA = 130
CYA = 35

What should I do now? I think that the TA is too high and the pH is too low.

thanks to everyone - I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.
Kathy

Glad to hear the good update Kathy 👍🏻
Your cya counts as 40 (always round up if inbetween) so your fc target is 5-7ppm FC/CYA Levels & you are right at it so just maintain that & never broach the minimum of 3 ppm to ensure algae doesn’t return.
Your ph is fine - it will rise on its own with your ta where it is.
When it gets to 8.0 lower it with acid to the low 7’s - this will lower the ta some each time.
Your current ta isn’t hurting anything - only possibly leading to more frequent ph rise. If the frequency of ph rise is a problem for you, you can make an effort to lower the ta as outlined here 👇

If not, let it ride, it will lower overtime as you control your ph with acid.

You didn’t list your ch - it’s an integral part of caring for your pool’s finish/equipment along with calculating csi

Reactions: HermanTX
What should I do now? I think that the TA is too high and the pH is too low.
Test your chlorine daily with the FAS-DPD test. Make sure to follow this chart -->FC/CYA Levels Make sure that you add enough chlorine to keep the FC results of your test in the recommended range. Don't allow a test to fall below the range.

We do the CYA test by adding enough to get to the next line, then look. You can't measure CYA between the lines (it is logarithmic). It is also important to do this test outdoors, preferably on a SUNNY day. Here are some good instructions.

I'll watch the chlorine better.
You will get to know your pool. For now, target your FC addition for the top of the range. Your CYA is 40. If you test FC at 5, add enough chlorine to get you back to 7. In the summer, you will use more chlorine. Even in Ohio, I can use up to 5.5 FC in a day. 7-5.5 is 1.5...YIKES below minimum...you will get algae. You can run hot in the summer, like FC 9. 9-5.5=3.5 Still safe from minimums. You will learn what your pool needs in each season.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Sorry - The CH is 310. I'll watch the chlorine better. Also - I bought one of those whale brushes. It really does make it easier to brush down the sides of the pool.

Thanks again - Kathy
Be sure to include that in your PoolMath log along with the other values & water temp so it can calculate csi for you.
You may need to switch on tracking in the settings ⚙️ if using the app. Be sure to hit the ✔️ after .

My pool looks a lot like yours! And our plaster is ancient and rough too. We bought our house in January. Pool went green in April under the care of a pool service. Fired him in May and followed TFP advice myself ever since. Made it all summer without any problems simply by weekly brushing and keeping my FC at a level appropriate for the CYA level. See FC/CYA Levels. But my point is - we're in similar situations with old pools and rough plaster, and I'm about to embark on a remodel. I'll happily share with you our experience if interested.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool looks a lot like yours! And our plaster is ancient and rough too. We bought our house in January. Pool went green in April under the care of a pool service. Fired him in May and followed TFP advice myself ever since. Made it all summer without any problems simply by weekly brushing and keeping my FC at a level appropriate for the CYA level. See FC/CYA Levels. But my point is - we're in similar situations with old pools and rough plaster, and I'm about to embark on a remodel. I'll happily share with you our experience if interested.
Yes - I'd love to hear how the remodel goes. The hardest part will be to convince my husband that it needs to be done. ;-) Thanks!

Reactions: RickRude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.