Hasa Liquidator - determining max/min chlorine levels

karcherd

Bronze Supporter
Mar 28, 2017
Fayetteville
Going into our 4th swim season and I decided to ease the burden of daily chlorine additions by installing a Liquidator (SWG conversion may be coming down the road). Installation was easy, except for air getting into the system via the flow-meter which caused the pump to lose prime, but since that was fixed I've been happy with its performance. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a good way to measure the depth of the chlorine bed in the tank to ensure there is adequate, but not too much chlorine? I thought I'd be able to put graduated markings on the outside of the tank for this, but my eyes can only clearly see the the chlorine/pool water boundary layer by looking inside the tank.

And, please pass along any other tips for making the Liquidator easier to work with. I learned in another thread about attaching a shut-off valve on the inlet line to make filling easier while the pump is running. That has been extremely helpful as I can now add 4 gallons of chlorine in a couple minutes. Finally, I'm grateful for this site as it has been extremely informative the past few years.

Before installing the tank, I filled it with water one gallon at a time and marked the tank with a black sharpie. For me, I can see the chlorine bed level from inside and outside the tank.

Recommendations:
Needle valve
3/8" upgrade tubing
Something to shield the tank against sunlight & heat (I wrapped the tank in outdoor fabric)
Use the pump and heater drain plugs so you don't have to drill any holes
Shutoff valve on the inlet to make refilling easy
Borates

Thanks pjt. I should have made sharpie marks on the inside of the tank before it was full. It seems to be working great just by adding 4 gallons of 10% LC each week, so I'm not going to fool with it until this winter when cleaning it up. I'll add the gallon marks per your suggestion then. My Liquidator is in the shade all day, so I won't wrap it. I'm curious to know how you see your chlorine levels from outside the tank if it is wrapped? Otherwise, I'm following all of your other suggestions. I don't have a needle valve yet, but plan to get one. When doing so, I think I'll move the simple ball valve Hasa sent to the pump drain, so that I can disengage suction from Liquidator (when draining the pool, which we've had to do frequently with lots of rain in Arkansas lately) without messing with the needle valve settings. What do you think? I'm also curious to know how long you've had your Liquidator and how happy you've been with it's performance during that time.
Thanks again for you help!!

Thanks pjt. I should have made sharpie marks on the inside of the tank before it was full. It seems to be working great just by adding 4 gallons of 10% LC each week, so I'm not going to fool with it until this winter when cleaning it up. I'll add the gallon marks per your suggestion then. My Liquidator is in the shade all day, so I won't wrap it. I'm curious to know how you see your chlorine levels from outside the tank if it is wrapped? Otherwise, I'm following all of your other suggestions. I don't have a needle valve yet, but plan to get one. When doing so, I think I'll move the simple ball valve Hasa sent to the pump drain, so that I can disengage suction from Liquidator (when draining the pool, which we've had to do frequently with lots of rain in Arkansas lately) without messing with the needle valve settings. What do you think? I'm also curious to know how long you've had your Liquidator and how happy you've been with it's performance during that time.
Thanks again for you help!!

I just open the lid and peek in to check the level. You'll love the needle valve. I used the ball valve from Hasa on the tubing supplying water to the Liquidator so it's easy to fill up the tank. I would try to minimize potential sources of leaks on the suction side of the pump.

I've been using it for over 8 years and I've been happy with it. That said, I would install a SWG or Stenner if I didn't already have the Liquidator installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.