Has anyone installed a vinyl liner over a concrete in-ground pool that is ruined?

STLPool2017

Bronze Supporter
Aug 22, 2017
Saint Louis, Missouri
I had an EcoFinish sub-contractor that has refused to finish my pool because of what his partner/main contractor did in preparing the pool and now both of them have stoped the EconFinish work (already sprayed once overall and twice in some areas but the main contractor had to redo his repairs) so NOW the main contractor is recommending that we put a vinyl liner over the entire pool as our only solution. He gave my wife and I a 10 minute talk about his solution but he won't put anything in writing about the details of putting a vinyl liner over my fiberglass walls and concrete flooring.

Does anyone have some experience with this method of putting a vinyl liner over a solid pool? I have had other pool contractors tell me that there are drain problems with putting a liner over a solid pool and also with connecting the water jets, skimmers and drain into the liner. Any thoughts on what I should look out for or tell me why I should NOT put a liner on a solid in-ground pool would be helpful.

How about the other solution, has anyone ever tried to remove the EcoFinish material off of a fiberglass / concrete pool?
.......Sandblast it?

Here is a picture of how the contractor and EcoFinish sub-contractor has left my pool. It was sprayed once and then some of the EcoFinish material started to lift and create soft bubbles between the fiberglass walls and the sprayed EcoFinish material. The main contractor did the repairs with the EcoFinish sub-contractors blessings (They were both on-site at the same time last fall) but now they have decided not to move forward and I am left in limbo. HELP

2018 06 Pool.jpg

Last edited:
That pool shape would be doable in liner.
I’m tired so I’ll just drop a couple bones..

Piping penetrations need to be installed to accept faceplates. & an extrusion can be mounted vertically to fasten liner.

I would not try to fit deep end bowl..
I would fill it with water, measure from surface & have a flat surface & fill in the bowl with suitable substrate, after punching large hole through floor for. The hole is to manage ground water & the eventual tear all liner pools will endure, without the punch out the liner will float like a cork.

Shotcrete to liner conversions are quite expensive compared to regular liner replacements.
& it’s hard to find a contractor with the skill set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.