Has anyone ever set up AGP on 3/4" gravel?

JenLar

Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2007
Escondido, CA
Hey there, I am attempting to set up a 24' round AGP. The directions say to use "fine mortar or rock dust" to use as a base for the bottom rails and plates. I can't find either of those things in my area, so I was thinking of just using 3/4" gravel tamped down and leveled. I have the ground leveled, and made a ring of the gravel 2' wide and sand inside the circle. I am leveling the plates on the gravel, but am a little concerned because it seems really easy to move, and I'm not sure it's going to stay put once the pool starts to fill. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Hey there, I am attempting to set up a 24' round AGP. The directions say to use "fine mortar or rock dust" to use as a base for the bottom rails and plates. I can't find either of those things in my area, so I was thinking of just using 3/4" gravel tamped down and leveled. I have the ground leveled, and made a ring of the gravel 2' wide and sand inside the circle. I am leveling the plates on the gravel, but am a little concerned because it seems really easy to move, and I'm not sure it's going to stay put once the pool starts to fill. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
I fear that if the gravel moves under-foot it is not a stable base for the pool. 3/4" seems way to large to properly compact for a stable base, I would not use it as such.

See my thread under Roxxw for my build and photos.

Because of where I live, I had to use crushed stone for a base. My water table is literally 4-6 inches below the surface so I had to construct a solid base.

26 tons of crushed stone at 8" deep....lots of sore muscles. I never considered a rock base. I'd steer away from that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.