Harry Potter--Who's seen it and who's reading it?

G

I saw the 5th Harry Potter movie last week and it was EXCELLENT! Definately not a kid's story anymore. I just started on the last book in the series and the first 60 pages got pretty intense very quickly! I feel that this series has become one of the great works of fantasy comparable to Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" or LeGuin's "Earthsea" saga! Any other fans out there?

I read the book Sunday. It's a little darker than the first 4 or 5; similar to the 6th. A very enjoyable read nonetheless. I don't know that I'd put it up there with Tolkien, but the series is much better than the vast majority of the pop lit of the past 30 years.

Haven't seen the new movie yet but a couple of my kids have. Their senitiments were similar to yours. All in all I think the HP movies have been the best book adaptations I've seen excepting perhaps the LOTR movies.

Finished the book and saw the movie. I think the movies are good because the books fill in the background for you so the movie doesn't have to. Really enjoy the books.

my wife and two teen age kids have essentially been like hotel guests in our house since the movie came out. (except they don't pay) They all went to the movie, the midnight opening for the book, and have done nothing but lay on the couch and read Harry Potter....morning to night. We've missed meals, one Scout meeting, and (this is a good thing) the TV has been virtually unplugged.

They leave me outside alone trying to fix my stupid, cantankerous autovac and talking to the two dogs.....I'm glad the dogs can't read!! :lol: :lol:

My mother took my teens to see the movie. : ( I wanted to take them so I could see it!!! They said it was the best one yet. I saw the previous one at an IMAX theater and that was a great experience. I am hoping the new one will come out at our Drive-In Theater (yes, we STILL have one - oh for the nostalgia!) and its a blast to see movies there. Make some popcorn!!

I love the books as well. They are extremely well written, entertaining, full of great social lessons. This whole series has captured the imaginations of two jaded "Guitar Hero"-PlayStation-MMessenger-IPodattachedattheear/thumb addicted teenagers in our house. Great stuff!!

We did not read the books, and only recently have let DD see the movies on TV (we are prudes, remember?!)

Well, we went to #5 in the theater and man were we disappointed. First it cost a bloody fortune. grr. Then, the contrast (just visually) was so dark I had difficulty even seeing what was on the screen. Finally, this film was so much darker (in content) than the others (ok, #4 was also darker than the previous 3), like Waterbear said, not for kids anymore. I also disliked the fact that everyone seemed to age a few years over the "summer break".

I am interested in finding out what happens in the end, but don't know if we will see the final two films... Not sure we will read the books either... Maybe I will never know!!

DD12 saw the movie last week and said it was great. Yes, we got in line at 10:00 p.m. Friday night for the midnight book release. She had her voucher since February. I haven't read any of the books - I'm not a big fantasy fan, but she loves them and practically wears the books out re-reading them. I'm all for anything that keeps her reading and away from the television.

Chris

I have not seen movie #5 yet, but I started the book Saturday. 250 pages in and I wish I had more time to read. My 6 year old wants to see the movie, but I think she's going to have to wait. Last month she said "Bloody heck" just like Ron Weasley, much to my embarassment.

Is J.K. Rolling the richest woman in the world yet?

Haven't seen 'Order of the Phoenex" but am in the middle of the 7th book. I agree that the series is getting 'darker', but feel that it's just the nature of the story. I fully applaud this series that has gotten children reading again!! (I've got about another hour before i go to bed, and see what I'm doing - as opposed to reading more of the 'final chapter' of Harry Potter :wink: )

FWIW - David Eddings 'Belgarion' series' are worth a read, if you enjoy some good fantasy/ 'swords & sorcorers' type books (his other books are also worth the read!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finished the last book. Excellent and it carries an excellent message in it about the choices we make in life! In this respect it reminds me of the "Landover' series by Terry Brooks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.