Hard Plumb Advice

cantplay

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2017
Springfield, MO
Hi,

Hoping to hard plumb this AGP, due to flex hose/clamp drips we could not get rid of last year, but time is running short for me to open the pool.

We want to add a shutoff valve between the skimmer and pump and possibly a cheaper inline puck chlorinator for some weekends away.

I don't like using the vacuum hose attachment to the skimmer and thought about a vacuum attachment in-line but not sure how to filter debris.

I also don't know what size plumbing I should use. Our filter has larger size screw fittings that are not used except for incoming water from the pump, but other than that it is all the smaller pipe.

We'll probably need 2 unions for disconnecting the PVC fountain assembly we made last year and saw these recommended in another thread.

Hoping to get most of the supplies at Menards and I know to get pressure PVC. This will be my second time ever doing PVC. Any other hints or suggestions? Edit: I see now we'll need 7 unions to take it down for storage in the fall.

pool1.png

pool 2.jpg

Last edited:
1.5" should do fine

Does your pump have a strainer basket on it? If not you can pick one up. I am in the same camp I want to add a vac port, I even have a bulkhead already. I'm waiting untill I change pumps and add a strainer basket on my new pump.

Assemble every dry, mark with sharpie and then glue

Thank you for the reply. Looks like I'm going to need more time to figure this project out and chlorinate with the sump pump to agitate for now.

We do have a basket on the pump, so guess we can use that basket to catch vacuum debris. Being new to pools, I thought the pump basket was a fail safe for the skimmer basket and didn't know it could be used as a primary catch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.