Handheld Pool Vacuum

pooloclock

Dec 13, 2020
san jose
I have a Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, through the swim season I run it once per week and it keeps on top of most leafs. However, in the windy or fall season I get a lot of leafs that would be faster to manually vacuum. I have a net, but it doesn't collect the smaller bits/dust.

So I was wondering if I can use the same hose connection to the Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner but have a handheld manual vacuum instead for one-offs? I don't really want a battery powered cleaner. Is there such an attachment?

The 280 is a pressure cleaner. The hose for it is pushing water into the cleaner which has small jets that create a vacuum to suck up the debris into the net. . If you want a manual system, you would need a similar bottom as the 280 that has those small jets fed by the water pressure.
The alternative is just to have a standard suction manual vacuum that connects suction hose to the skimmer. You can purchase at pool store or online.

The 280 is a pressure cleaner. The hose for it is pushing water into the cleaner which has small jets that create a vacuum to suck up the debris into the net. . If you want a manual system, you would need a similar bottom as the 280 that has those small jets fed by the water pressure.
The alternative is just to have a standard suction manual vacuum that connects suction hose to the skimmer. You can purchase at pool store or online.
Where does that get sucked in to? The skimmer has a basket to stop the leaves, where are the leaves captured if connected to the skimmer?

Where does that get sucked in to? The skimmer has a basket to stop the leaves, where are the leaves captured if connected to the skimmer?
If you do not have a vacuum plate to put above the skimmer basket then the skimmer basket is removed and the suction hose goes directly into the port at bottom of Skimmer. Then you can set your plumbing to vacuum to waste (if you have that capability) or simply vacuum to the pump and the large leaves will be captured in the pump basket. The small particles you mention may pass through and be captured by the filter.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.