Hair nets and current skimmer basket

DiverGirl1972

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 11, 2018
Delta, PA
We have skimmer baskets that kind of look like the attached picture. They have a vertical handle attached to be center of the bottom of the basket.

I want to start using hair nets this year to get the fine debris in the pool, but I can't figure out how to use them with our baskets? Am I missing something or do I just need different baskets without the handle mounted in this manner?

I could cut a slit in the hair net to thread the handle through, but Im worried the slit at the bottom of the basket will end up allowing the find debris through and will defeat the purpose....

Attachments

• Skimmer basket.jpg
    Skimmer basket.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 36
the pic you posted has a removable handle. screws in and out from the bottom. had the same thing and considered the slit option as well. thruth be told, a slit would work. it will still catch way more than no net at all. perfect, no. I ended up just removing that handle

Diver, there are 2 ways you can do this.
1. Is like JT mentioned and just remove the handle.
2. You can buy a couple of new baskets that have the grab bar for easy removal.

6FC95D36-6940-47CE-87B7-40DCE707F173.jpeg

The grab bar you see is removable, just pop it off, insert hairnet, pop the bar back in. :cheers:

Reactions: DanF
Thank you! To be honest, I never looked closely at our skimmer baskets to see if that piece was removable - perhaps it is! This was just the closest picture I could find. I'll take a closer look when I get home. Maybe this is just a good excuse to get a couple of new ones, as they have a couple of small cracks along the top edge anyway.

Diver, there are 2 ways you can do this.
1. Is like JT mentioned and just remove the handle.
2. You can buy a couple of new baskets that have the grab bar for easy removal.

View attachment 97050

The grab bar you see is removable, just pop it off, insert hairnet, pop the bar back in. :cheers:
Thanks Rob. My baskets are exactly like that, but I tried removing the bar and couldn't. Maybe I need to try again.

Thanks Rob - but I just figured it out. Just needed to pry up on the bar a little harder and she popped out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wear a vinyl cleaning glove as “protection” when I pull the basket out. Fortunately, there hasn’t been anything too gross in there. Yet. I will likely reinstall my skimmer angels in the fall, when the wolf spiders show up.

By the way, I am shocked some days to see all of the stuff that I prevented from going into my filter. Best pool tip ever!

I've used skimmer socks for several years and like how it keeps stuff out of the pump and filter, almost never had to backwash during the season, but . . . those hair nets are so affordable I switched!
Glad TFP has so many ways to keep me out of the pool store and save me money. :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.