Had gas heater installed. Not thrilled, see any issues?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
Long story, but I decided to use the same landscape company that installed my pool 7 years ago to install a pool heater. I wanted to pay online prices, but no warranty. So the Raypak 206 was about $300 more from the dealer. Of course, they don't run the gas or electric, so I'm not sure what difference it makes that they sold it to me???? Anyway...

Looking at the pictures, here are some concerns/questions I have:

1 - the in/out lines on the heater are 2", whereas the line from my skimmer into the filter is smaller. I'm still filling the pool, so I haven't turned on the filter yet.
Will that create any pressure/circulation/efficiency issues?

2 - As you can see, he used flex pipe. We talked about moving the filter to be in direct line with the heater, but I think he was losing patience and just decided to run the lines where is. On one hand, I'm glad, because the filter is better for me where it is, plus we would had to have cut and installed a new power outlet for the filter. However, you can see the flex pipe at the filter is "wedged" against the case of the filter. These are thick flex pipes obviously, but I'm not sure how this will hold up long term.

3 - After these pictures, I added some wood to support the return and feed lines. Someone (me) is bound to step on those, so I want it to be more solid. I'll probably just build a small bridge, especially over the return pipe and install a more sturdy support. It's in my main thoroughfare to the skimmer, filter, hose, garden hose, etc. Having the line buried would been the cleanest, but I'm not sure I would have wanted to pay for that. I thought for a while on this and there just wasn't a better spot for the heater.

Anything else you can think of I might want to do, before turning on the filter?

The plumber will install the gas line, run the electric, etc. So hopefully this will be up and running next week.

Attachments

• H1 IMG_2402.jpg
    H1 IMG_2402.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 78
  • H2 IMG_2400.jpg
    H2 IMG_2400.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 76
I don't think it will be problematic, but I am curious why he didn't put the heater next to the pump and filter? It is also odd to have a hose from pool to pump and hard pipe everywhere else. Good news is pvc pipe is easy to work with if you want to move things around before the gas line is run.

I don't think it will be problematic, but I am curious why he didn't put the heater next to the pump and filter? It is also odd to have a hose from pool to pump and hard pipe everywhere else. Good news is pvc pipe is easy to work with if you want to move things around before the gas line is run.

I tell you, for all the time and effort I have into this, I should have just bought that darn thing online, installed it myself, and took the risk of warranty.

To answer your question, the town has no code for the heater, so manufacturer's spec's. Because of the exhaust from the heater, carbon, etc., all windows/openings must be at least 4 feet above, and 4 feet left or right of the unit. So next to the filter wasn't an option, unless we relocated the filter to where the heater is now, which didn't make much sense to me, but maybe that was a mistake. Running a longer power cord to the filter and shorter PVC from filter/heater/pool, might have made more sense?

As he was "installing" the heater, he told me he wasn't aware that he would have to connect the heater to the pool. Well what the heck are you doing then, putting a flat slab and dropping a heater on it? How is that installation? It's a glorified delivery for crying out loud. I do like the guy who installed it, but his boss is a bit clueless, so the communication isn't great. The worst part is, although it took a while, a plumber who knows my nephew agreed to install the gas line, but said that he, too, could have ordered the heater and still covered it under warranty. I'm not sure that's accurate, as he's not a Raypak dealer, but I don't know. I have a few projects going, where I'm dependent on contractors, so it's been a rough few months. I prefer to do things myself, but I need a new driveway/steps/retaining wall, so I'm not up for that kind of work.

Looking at the skimmer, I'm not sure I'd trust the weight of PVC hanging there. I could support that I guess. I have to say, for winterization, removing the hose will be easier than dealing with PVC, though perhaps there's a drain plug for those?

The pool in our size yard is pushing the limits as it is, so I'm not too worried about aesthetics. I'd just like things to look and function normally.

Looks aside the heater will work fine the way it is. It would be very easy to clean up the plumbing but making it look pretty wont improve how it works.

Winterizing the plumbing couldn't be easier all you have to do is undo the unions that are already there.

Looks aside the heater will work fine the way it is. It would be very easy to clean up the plumbing but making it look pretty wont improve how it works.

Winterizing the plumbing couldn't be easier all you have to do is undo the unions that are already there.

Yeah. Two unions, then just remove the hose from the skimmer. For the heater, he was saying to use the T handle shut off. The in line for the heater has a drain plug, so remove that to drain. Then he said to remove the inlet pipe for the heater and just blow the heater out with a leaf blower. Ironically, I just bought the 56V EGO cordless blower. On turbo, it might blow the heater off the block! I love this thing!! My brother has the EGO jetback version. He used it last week and no one has seen him since. He should reenter the earth's atmosphere any day now...

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'd want to build a boardwalk to keep people off those pipes. Maybe go steal some pallets as a starting point. :evil:

I actually have a couple pallets. I'd prefer something more water resistant for long term though. Maybe some scrap Trek decking or even pressure treated wood. I'll have to think on that.

I got one of the Ego 14" chainsaws when home Depot had them on sale for 150 with a battery and charger. It's a surprisingly capable saw great for clearing brush and when I don't want to haul out my big saw.

I got one of the Ego 14" chainsaws when home Depot had them on sale for 150 with a battery and charger. It's a surprisingly capable saw great for clearing brush and when I don't want to haul out my big saw.

Yep. My brother has that too and really likes it. He bought the mower, the chainsaw, and the jetpack blower. He had the hedge trimmer, but it's a bit heavy and you need two hands to operate it, due to the safety switch. He grabbed the Ryboi, which is lighter, a bit easier to operate one handed, and has a better blade.

I bought my EGO units at the end of May. They were $149 as well, with battery and charger. Plus I grabbed the 10% for new account. I think $149 is really their market value, so they should just keep it there. I grabbed the blower and the weed whacker. If I'm being honest, I can use the weed whacker, but I really just bought it for the extra battery and charger. Same price, so why not grab the whacker with it??? I was urked a bit that I had to pay $15 for a blower nozzle attachment. Perhaps the blower worked fine with the open hole, but I figured the nozzle would allow me to direct air better. Maybe with this power I didn't need it. I also grabbed a couple reels of cord for the whacker. You never know when that stuff gets discontinued. the blower is a tad heavy, but i have a closed of straps, etc. I just rigged up a nice laptop bag strap, so the weight rests on my shoulder. All good there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.