Gunk around steps?

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
SLAMing. FC is 16 (should have been 12 but I was heavy handed with the bleach). I have maintained FC throughout the day even though I passed OCLT early this morning (I was not sure if this gunk is enough to affect FC so I've just left it another day). I've tried 2 different pool brushes, neither is getting to the gunk stuck at the bottom of the steps very well but I see a slight improvement from yesterday. Vacuum didn't help. I also tried to dislodge it with the jet attachment​ on the water hose so I could brush again. That has helped the most I think. Is my only option to get in the pool and try to brush it? Should I let FC drop back to below 10 before I do that? Thanks in advance!
17252e8442cab5e764b3d985369ed483.jpg

I even asked hubby to look and we don't see it. But........it looks like where fiberglass steps meet the vinyl of your IG pool. I have a very similar set up and have problems with algae in the cracks of the fiberglass frame of the steps and in the corners. I have purchased plastic bristled hand kitchen brushes to have my kids brush those areas by hand with a small brush when they are in the pool.

Not sure if that helps:)

AimeeH,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I circled the area in the picture below and also put arrows where it extends down from the corner.

I've used those same types of brushes when I'm actually in the pool, but my arms aren't long enough to reach down that far from the outside. Also, a brush for dentures works great, but again only when inside the pool. I even tried a NEW toilet brush :D hoping I could reach down far enough with it, but no luck.

IMG_20170611_1650018222.jpg

I used an old toothbrush to remedy that exact problem on my steps a couple weeks ago. I had little bits of algae everywhere around the returns and the steps. Just in the little cracks where a non OCD person wouldn't find them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah. 16 is just over shock level. Probably better to stay out of it for the time being. Keep up the good work. I'd imagine it has a biofilm over it, so the FC can't get to it. It'll get destroyed when you get a brush to it when the FC is low enough to get in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.