Gunite slide resurface

Lctxpoolguy

Apr 29, 2024
houston
Hello everybody I have a gunite slide that I have constantly paid to be re coated. It usually only last about a year and needs to be re done. It’s not cheap and the people are hard to get ahold of to do the work, so im looking at trying to do the work myself. Does anybody have any recomendations on what product to use? They have been doing an epoxy coating on it so i was assuming that what i will do unless theres something else. Here is a current picture of the slide. Any input would be a lot of help. Im in the Houston/Galveston area btw if that matters for the product. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6514.jpeg
    IMG_6514.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 19
Hello everybody I have a gunite slide that I have constantly paid to be re coated. It usually only last about a year and needs to be re done. It’s not cheap and the people are hard to get ahold of to do the work, so im looking at trying to do the work myself. Does anybody have any recomendations on what product to use? They have been doing an epoxy coating on it so i was assuming that what i will do unless theres something else. Here is a current picture of the slide. Any input would be a lot of help. Im in the Houston/Galveston area btw if that matters for the product. Thanks
The epoxy should last longer than a year if you remove all the failed stuff underneath and prep it.

Since my slide was built in 2015, it's been resurfaced with various types of epoxy products by the builder. None has lasted more than 18 months before beginning to fail. The last time they came out in 2021, the builder used sanding/grinding discs to remove the coating. He filled the cracks with hydraulic cement, then finished up with Minwax paste. I reapply the paste every few months. It only takes a few minutes to apply and remove excess. So far, this has held up. I'm guessing I could repair any cracks that pop up. It's a much easier process than having to strip epoxy from the surface every 18 months.

Here are the products recommended by my rock guy.

Use this to fill cracks...

1681250571992.png

Follow up with paste wax...

1714420292083.png

Photos taken today...

20240429_130038.jpg

Reactions: Bperry
Thanks for the replies. That doesn’t look like a bad idea ranch I guess I would just need some minwax to somewhat match my color after I sanded my slide down and patched any cracks. I was also looking at something like this. Epoxy Waterproofer - Makes concrete waterproof Looks like it would fill any hairline cracks when applied. I could add a tint to that and apply a couple coats and hopefully it last a year or so

I'm no expert, but I think you'll have similar problems with any type of coating you try to apply over gunite. Hairline cracks start to appear under the surface and cause delamination of the epoxy. At least with no epoxy coating, you're able to patch and smooth those small cracks without needing to completely strip the chute. Either way, keep us posted and let us know how it works out.