Gunite Pool tile problem

PoolCustomer

Jun 11, 2021
Connecticut
We put in our Connecticut pool in 17 years ago. After a few years many tiles fell off in one area and after many calls to the installer with empty promises from them to come look at it and schedule a repair they never showed up and I finally found some one else (Good Guy Number 1) who repaired it and did a good job. His phone was no longer in service when even more tiles fell off in a different area in 2018. After many calls to the original installer, they sent someone out who seemed nice enough but couldn’t answer any questions because we did not speak the same language. I paid much more than Good Guy 1 for a smaller area. Then in 2019 when more tiles fell off, some in the same spot that were supposedly repaired in 2018, I emailed and called the original installer (who supposedly did the 2018 repair)for months and months and the daughter or daughter-in- law (same last name as the company )who staffed the phone always very nicely promised to send someone out but never did. Very frustrating. After more than a year of this I found someone else (Good Guy #2) who did a beautiful job for for about a third the price in late 2019. He is now retired. Now -2021-not only have tiles fallen off in yet another area but we found out that a big chunk of gunite behind the tiles was apparently never there. See photos. I called a bunch of places but they either don’t do good night pools probably say call your installer Any suggestions on what I should do to repair it? What should I fill it with? I’d like to learn to do it myself and have done a lot of major home maintenance myself because I have such trouble locating decent help for these repairs. Thanks very much.

Attachments

• 63324B6F-3276-45C3-9FD2-4ED35D04D1B9.jpeg
    63324B6F-3276-45C3-9FD2-4ED35D04D1B9.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 0F281CB6-C266-4B0F-9C11-9C347824E0C9.jpeg
    0F281CB6-C266-4B0F-9C11-9C347824E0C9.jpeg
    497.4 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to TFP :)

From the looks of it and your explanation I would tear all of it out and have it all replaced and fixed correctly... That in no way should look like that after a tile fell out.. There should be many layers under the tile.. You can clearly see the pool shell there...

Here is a diagram and a manual for installing tile.. There are many products that can be used from each set... I am doing my whole pool in tile and it is a process.. It is a perfect DIY because you can do it as long as it takes.. There are specific waiting times before getting wet.. I am using Mapei Granirapid for the exact reason, it is the only thin set mortar that can be submerged in 3 days..

1623467516134.png

Attachments

• OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 9
Thank you very much CowboyCasey. In case I find out it is a more extensive job than I can handle can you recommend anyone to do the job or is there any list of reputable repairers? I am new to this organization so I am unsure if I’m even allowed to ask this question.

I had one tile fall off and freaked out. Your situation is certainly more serious than my experience. I found this ”magical” adhesive that worked like a charm. I know - anything with magic and miracle in it’s name or as seen on TV caveat emptor. But the tile is still affixed after 4 years. So if you run into a onesy twosy problem in the future, I hope not, I recommend this pricey magical product.

Thank you very much CowboyCasey. In case I find out it is a more extensive job than I can handle can you recommend anyone to do the job or is there any list of reputable repairers? I am new to this organization so I am unsure if I’m even allowed to ask this question.
You can ask but we are homeowners just like you who love pools.. I know about these things just because I am researching to do my own pool... You will need to call around to contractors in your area and get as many quotes as you can and go with one you are comfortable with,, :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.