Guess the next round of upgrades are in order

Aug 5, 2016
Wilmington/NC
So looks like it time to really start thinking about upgrading our pump. Currently have Intex Krystal Clear 3000gph pump set up. Old girl is going on her fourth season and is starting to go full Christine on us by either cutting off or randomly cut on, plus the flow hasn't been what it was when it was new. I know the Intex is like the first little stepping stone of upgrades for pools but now I'd like to look at some of the better options with a budget in mind. Current pool is just a little 14' but next season we will be going to a 20-24' pool depending on how the landscaping this summer goes. So I would like it to handle the larger pool next season. Will I be able to keep the 16" sand filter or will I need to upgrade that as well? I've looked at several 1.5hp pumps but don't know if I should do 1 or 2 speed and it looks like they don't come with on/off switches. Figured I'd ask for recommendations and advise before I go off randomly searching.

Thanks in advance

Old Intex pump is starting to show its age and switch is broke (Still need to take it apart to see).

Current pool it a little 14' but next season we are going to upgrade to a 22' pool once we get our area prepped and secured.

Looking at these two pumps as possible replacements.
Hayward SP15922S Powerflo Matrix 2 spd 1hp
Hayward SP15932S Powerflo Matrix 2 spd 1.5hp

Anyone have experience with either of them or opinions? Seems like they are well liked, just don't know which size would be preferred. Also starting to question on weather or not either will work with the Intex 16" sand filter.

I would look into a dual speed pump... the energy savings are amazing when running at lower speed (even when running for longer periods).
I went to a 1.5/0.5 hp pump, and the only time I run at higher speed is backwashing, or vacuuming.

The intex 16" filter may be an issue with bigger pumps... I will let others advise there.
You might be able to find a good used pump, AND sand filter on Facebook marketplace, or craigslist in your area from someone who is looking to off load one.
I got mine from a neighbor for a steal when he dropped a tree across his AGP, and said he wasn't going to replace the pool.

Yeah both to those Hayward say they are duel speeds. Just wondering if 1hp is enough or is 1.5hp to much. Looks like you have a similar pool to what we are want to put up next year. Thanks for the recommendations, so far haven't come across anything used.

I would go with the 1.5hp then, and run it on LOW speed for now, until you can upgrade your filter to a bigger one made for the pump's higher output on high speed.
I wouldn't think you would have a problem... I even vacuumed my pool today with the low speed setting on my pump.

I have the 1.5 hp version. I use the high speed for solar and low speed for swg generator. Only thing I had to do was upgrade from 14/2 wire to 12/2 as recommended, it runs ok with smaller guage wire just warmer which will cause troubles later on.
I did buy my sand filter new years ago, but knowing what I know now would find one on the buy and sell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.