Ground prep and install for Bestway 12x24 (Costco)

I have it all set up finally, but cannot figure out these two fittings. I realize the one on the left fits under the orange cap. It will screw onto the filter housing no problem. But, what is it for? Those are not threads, but barbs like for a push on hose, maybe 1/2" dia or so (haven't measured it yet). The one on the right appears to be sized for a garden hose (haven't tried, but looks about right), but for the life of me I cannot see any place where it connects. The Bestway instructions for the pump indicate a garden hose can be attached at port D (waste port) which is the size of the orange cap, but certainly not the fitting on the right. Honestly stumped on these. Any help @koffey?
1628861376972.png

Last edited:
I have it all set up finally, but cannot figure out these two fittings. I realize the one on the left fits under the orange cap. It will screw onto the filter housing no problem. But, what is it for? Those are not threads, but barbs like for a push on hose, maybe 1/2" dia or so (haven't measured it yet). The one on the right appears to be sized for a garden hose (haven't tried, but looks about right), but for the life of me I cannot see any place where it connects. The Bestway instructions for the pump indicate a garden hose can be attached at port D (waste port) which is the size of the orange cap, but certainly not the fitting on the right. Honestly stumped on these. Any help @koffey?
View attachment 363856
I never did figure out what that one on the left does. I think the one on the right attaches to the drain on the bottom at one of the ends so you can connect a garden hose to it and drain 95% of the pool. Not sure, but there's nothing else it fits on that I see.

Based on your pics, it's on the ladder side of the pool, opposite the ladder. Check on the outside of the pool, near the ground, about 3-6" up off there.

I never did figure out what that one on the left does. I think the one on the right attaches to the drain on the bottom at one of the ends so you can connect a garden hose to it and drain 95% of the pool. Not sure, but there's nothing else it fits on that I see.

Based on your pics, it's on the ladder side of the pool, opposite the ladder. Check on the outside of the pool, near the ground, about 3-6" up off there.
Oh ya, that makes sense, the one for the main drain. I will check to see but do believe you are right!

I prepped ground pretty much the same but I cheated and paid a landscaper to do it. After I dug out a 22’ round patch of grass they leveled it with sand and some metal landscape support barriers. I used a gorilla barrier but didn’t use pole supports. I put a plastic landscaping barrier immediately around pool then put landscape pavers around and filled with large river pebble. Intex 20’x48“ with 14” sand filter. It has been up for about 5 years now, we keep it up year round here in TX. The liner has since faded to pure white but seems to be holding up well. I don’t really know how long it will last but so far so good. My biggest issue is the filter hoses, I cant figure a good way to make them neat and they crack every year so i just replace as needed. Your set up looks great!! 😎

Attachments

• 07CA91C9-5A06-4399-A992-DC397B9BC856.jpeg
    07CA91C9-5A06-4399-A992-DC397B9BC856.jpeg
    638.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2A9C7A5C-5CED-445A-A161-D78ED2E46D38.jpeg
    2A9C7A5C-5CED-445A-A161-D78ED2E46D38.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 0348B91D-1309-4EBB-8C94-CB6765664849.jpeg
    0348B91D-1309-4EBB-8C94-CB6765664849.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: ChiknNutz
looks awesome, much straighter than mine, lol. I'll make a few adjustments to mine next year to improve it. The attachments above are indeed for garden hose.

We may not have the same exact fittings. After looking them over more carefully, it is clear that the one one the right (below) is for the main drain on the bottom/end of the pool and fits a garden hose. This does not separate from the collar, it's a one-way snap fit between the fitting and the collar. The one on the left with barbs, not threads, is used in conjunction with the orange collar and the max hose size appears to be right about 3/4" ID. If it were a garden hose size, I'd likely use it, but it's about the same cost to have a larger lay-flat hose.

1629296516444.png

I am now looking at some different fittings so I can get a discharge hose away from the pool. I am leaning towards a 1-1/2" lay-flat sump pump style discharge hose along with an appropriate sized fitting. I've found this one made for an Intex pool. I first tried to find some fittings at both Home Depot and Lowe's and came up empty on something to fit the 2" pump outlet. Between the 25' hose and the fittings, this is about $30, which is about as cheap of a solution as I can so far come up with.

1629297086948.png
1629297291558.png

On a side note, I am surprised that there is no shut-off valve for the connection between the skimmer hoses and the pump itself. I am also looking to find a suitable valve and fittings to make this happen. The reason there should be a shut-off valve is so you can clean out the the pump filter w/o water gushing all over. The only other solution I found is to plug the tubes at the pool. This of course works, just isn't as nice of a solution as having a proper shut-off valve. Most suitable solution I've found costs about $30 for this setup. Yes, there are some cheaper PVC ball valves but I've found they don't operate all that smoothly at a 2" size.
1629297332341.png

Attachments

• 1629296868531.png
    1629296868531.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wow that's extreme... I'm going to use a 1/4" hose and sump pump.... lol

Yes, the one on the right is indeed for the draining port on the pool, my mistake. The other is for the pump.

Either or, you remove the grey piece to match your setup. I should note that these attach to the pump outlet.
The second picture in ChiknNutz last post has the one that connects to the filter outlet. The first picture neither of those connect to the pump or filter (they aren't 2" connectors). Believe me, I tried. They do look like they fit the port on the bottom of the pool to gravity drain the whole pool though.

@ChiknNutz what I did for backwashing was get this:

Which is thicker and more durable than the traditional lay flat hose. As a kid we had the blue thin stuff, ripped all the time. Of course, I live in AZ which is really freaking hot and dry and full of rocks. Your mileage may vary.

Then I got PVC pipe and fittings and built an adapter for the filter backwash port. For that specific hose they lie and the inner diameter doesn't match either 2" or 1.5" PVC, more like 1.6 or 1.7". So I also built a step-down to 1.5" and then use two hose clamps to hold it onto the adapter I made. Works beautifully.

For the connection between the vacuum lines and the filter I swapped the Bestway 1.5" to 2" tee connector for the Intex split hose plunger valve. Amazon no longer seems to carry it. But it works well for the job of shutting off the intakes simply and easily.

My next quest, working on it now, is the dual path between the filter return line and the return on the pool as well as the solar heater. I'm using two of these:

As well as appropriate PVC piping and threaded adapters. Will then hook up the flex tubing to connect it all together. This way on cloudy days or in the latter months of swimming season I can turn the solar heater on and off to extend my swimming times.

The second picture in ChiknNutz last post has the one that connects to the filter outlet. The first picture neither of those connect to the pump or filter (they aren't 2" connectors). Believe me, I tried. They do look like they fit the port on the bottom of the pool to gravity drain the whole pool though.
Yes, I already said that the second photo was probably right, but as for the pump connection, check your pump manual, it's right in there.

Here's some assistance.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 4
The one I have that connects to the pump, not to be confused with the pool outlet itself, does NOT connect to a garden hose. It does not have any threads, only barbs to retain a couple different sized hoses. I read the instructions and it clearly says it is supposed to connect to a garden hose, just saying that is not possible with the fitting provided.

The one in my hand absolutely does not fit on the pump.
1629744653985.png

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.