Grit settled beneath pump basket

gregch

Silver Supporter
I went to start up the pump and found this settled grit on the bottom of the pump basket chamber. I cleaned it out before starting the pump, but is this likely to have damaged the pump? - it seemed noisier than ever last season (I thought bearings, but info on this forum makes me wonder about possible impeller damage?) and maybe it's just time to replace it anyway (it dates from the 1980s, I think)? Hoping to limp it through this year while I'm paying for a new liner, coping and paving - and then replace the pump and filter next year, but...

I suspect the grit is from where the copings have been disintegrating :-(

Attachments

• IMG_3809.jpeg
    IMG_3809.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 16
I doubt anything that fine would do any damage. Junk that gets sucked up and inward will just pass to the filter or waste. If you aren't in a sandy location, it's probably residual particles from your decking or coping. And if your pump is actually from the 1980s ..... well ........ let's just say you've done good with that one. :)

Reactions: gregch
Ah, that's reassuring, thank you. It doesn't sound catastrophic, just a little noisier than it was (and it's been noisy the whole time we've been here) in a way that doesn't sound like bearings (I mean the bearings may well be suboptimal too, but).

Any yes, you're right, it certainly doesn't owe us anything! Just that the liner change and paving is going to be pretty expensive so really hoping to deal with (or replace) the pump next year.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure the vinyl liner was original too, according to the paperwork they gave the guy a 7 year warranty on it, in 1987! Incredibly it still holds water fine and cleans up OK but it's bleached out and brittle - there's cracks starting to open up above the waterline so definitely overdue for replacement!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.