Greetings...newbie checking in....

That's a long time, so we need the CYA number.

All I can think of is to take 4 samples of water (rinsed out water bottle, whatever) to 4 pool stores. It will be very educational, haha. Get them to test your water and tell us all 4 results for CYA. No need to type all the other results. They'll do it really quick and then try to sell you chems. Don't buy any. (but you can check their price for 12.5% chlorinating liquid)

In the meantime, we'll assume 50 PPM CYA as a shot in the dark from the guess-strip and what your pool builder put in. Keep your FC at 4 and above at all times, target of 5 PPM FC. If it were me, I'd say up to 12 PPM FC is OK for swimming, in case the CYA is only 30 from the pool builder, but that number is your judgment call. Maintain it using the SWC and bleach top-ups as needed.

The experts will correct me if that's out of line. Truth is, we should have a self-tested CYA number we can rely on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you can, put your brush in the deep end and take a picture when it's sunny, so we can see how the water looks.

In case you end up needing a SLAM, keeping your CYA low makes the SLAM easier. You'll still get most of the UV protection. You just sacrifice a bit of SWG benefit.

Without the reliable test, continue to keep your FC higher than target. If it was me, I'd use a bare minimum of 5 between chlorine additions and shoot for 8 or 9 when adding liquid chlorine, until I had the FAS-DPD test. Totally safe for swimming and no one will sense the chlorine. You'll lose more FC during the day because of the lower CYA protection until it's all dialed in.

9ec9affd66d8e0f5f8549efec5fe2392.jpg

Took this pic in the deep end yesterday...been running swg @100% for last two days 20 hrs/day along with adding 10% bleach as instructed. Brought the pH down yesterday to 7.8 with 2 gal of MA...

FAS-DPD kit showed up today as well so will be doing OCLT tonight. FC currently at 11.5. We got zero sunshine today so I guess my swg is doing its job!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Excellent, the water looks great!!! So you have your TF100 test kit now?

We were targeting 8 or 9 and hit 11.5, that's high but not too bad. No liquid chlorine needed of course.

And are you sure CYA is at 30 now? Everything is looking good, and subject to the successful OCLT, you'll need to raise the CYA soon.

For OCLT, do the baseline FC test after any added chemicals have had time to mix. For the morning test to complete the OCLT, test the water before sunrise.

Excellent, the water looks great!!! So you have your TF100 test kit now?

We were targeting 8 or 9 and hit 11.5, that's high but not too bad. No liquid chlorine needed of course.

And are you sure CYA is at 30 now? Everything is looking good, and subject to the successful OCLT, you'll need to raise the CYA soon.

For OCLT, do the baseline FC test after any added chemicals have had time to mix. For the morning test to complete the OCLT, test the water before sunrise.
Tf100 is still on the way. Got my hands on a separate Taylor FAS-DPD from Amazon however that showed up today. For some reason I like to order test kits.

Ran the cya turbidity test a couple of times and came out right at 30 ppm each time.

Will report back in the morning with another FC reading...

Is 11.5 ok to swim in?
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.