Greenhorn.....First tf100 test....lots of questions

35 FC Is a big number. I'm guessing that is at least 12 bottles of 8.25% bleach to go from zero to 35. I would do a partial drain to get that cya down to 50.

I forgot to ask this before, please update your city and state in your profile. It helps greatly to know your climate.

Again, because of your CC level you need to SLAM Your Pool Something is growing in there and will only get worse the longer it is left to grow. This is different than a one time "shock", it will take time but it will thoroughly kill everything living in your pool.

According to the Chlorine CYA Chart your SLAM level is 35 (but if you are still using pucks your CYA may be higher now), you will need to target and maintain it at that for the duration of the SLAM. Once your SLAM is completed you will need to maintain your FC above 7 at all times. Allowing it to fall below 7 will allow stuff to start growing again.

Be very aware, if you are going to continue using chlorine tabs then your CYA is going to continue to rise. It will rise by about 10 a week, so make sure every week you are adjusting your FC to keep it high enough for your new CYA. It should be getting close to 100 now, so probably adjust for that. Next week it will be around 110, then 120, then 130, onward and upward!

So really, if you won't do a water replacement and aren't willing to give up your chlorine feeder then there isn't much more guidance I can offer you. Good luck!

Testing Questions.........continued

Have had great help in past few days from other members.

Now more questions regarding my results:

FC. 19
CC. 0
TC. 19

TA. 100, note water turned orangish not red & when added 008 was light green
CYA. 90
PH. 6.8

Ok, I had PH to 7.2-please confirm I need to add Borax to get it back up.

I added a lot of liquid chlorine, looks like too much.

When I tested early this morning with the color gradient combo CL/PH daily tester it looked like CL was at .5 so I added the Clorox.

However when I went back to look at it again after a few minutes looked like it may have risen to 5 in the tester. Do you let it sit for several minutes before getting result?

This may be why FC is so high.

I have been told to drain partway to reduce CYA but would prefer not to.

Also want to confirm that if adding Clorox I should not be using tablets in chlorinator.

What should I now be doing.

Specifically about FC & CC.

I was feeling comfortable a few days ago, now I'm confused again!

Thanks for all advice.

Greg

Re: Testing Questions.........continued

Don't worry about PH right now. Your FC is 10+ and it will test wrong. Take your tablets out. Just use bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

No don't let any tests sit. Take result as soon as you test.

Welcome.

I'm confused too a bit. How is your water? Are you trying to maintain it or are you needing to follow the SLAM process to clear your pool?

If your CYA is that high, the only way to lower it is to drain water.

Those tablets are adding more CYA which is why you don't want to use them.

The amount of chlorine you need is dependent upon how much cya you have. See the chlorine/CYA chart in pool school.

And keep posting your questions.

are you trying to SLAM? with a CYA of 90 you need to be at a FC target of 10 (normal with no algae) and a FC of 35 for shock/slam.. it will take much more chlorine/bleach to reach those targets with that high of CYA but it can be done, just costs more..

is that what you are asking?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Thanks for replies all.

Ok, so to answer questions.

I'm not slamming, just trying to maintain water.

That being the case, per the schedule in pool school my target FC should be 10 with CYA of 90.

Do I just let chlorine burn off daily until it gets to 10 and then maintain from there.

Also, you ask how my water is, it is clear, clearer in shallow end, a little less clear in deep end.

Do I just leave PH alone for now?

I'm just trying maintain my water and keep it balanced.

All guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You have not finished your SLAM if all of your water is not clear. You need to get everything back up to SLAM level until you
1. Pass the OLCT
2. Have CC of .5 or less
AND
3. All of your water is sparking and clear.

Delguercio, I have moved your other thread into this one as the topics really go together. You have people answering the same or similar questions in each thread. In future, please keep all your questions of the same issue in one place. This way we can keep up more easily and answer you better.

Thanks!

Somehow my previous question was moved to here.

These are my results from this morning:

FC 20
CC 0
TC 20
TA 100
CYA 90
PH 6.8

I had added a lot of Clorox, looks like to much.

Do I just let it burn off until FC is at 10' which is acceptable level for 90 CYA.

I was advised to drain partially to lower CYA, which I'm not going to do now.

I'm trying to maintain my water, should I increase PH and just monitor FC.

How do I know how much Clorox to add.

People who answered this previously thanks, but unfortunately your answers were wiped out.

Basically I just want to know what I should be doing.

Thanks

Greg

Last edited:
Ok, just started SLAM.

Starting #s as follows:

FC 4.5
Cc 1
Tc 5.5
Ph 6.8
Cya 90

Based on high cya I'm be maintaining shock FC of 39.

Couple of questions:

1 how long after you add chlorine do you see difference in test results?
2 if I need to maintain level of 39 are there any tricks to keeping shock FC up while I am at work throughout the day.

Thanks

Greg

It will vary on how long it takes to see results, but usually you will notice slight changes each day. Take a pic everyday in the same spot around the same time to track it.

If you can only test 2 times a day due to work, in the morning you could target 42 and hope it stays above 39 through the day. Wow that is a high CYA to SLAM at.

Az, thanks for input.

12:00 pm update for test results:

FC 51
Cc 0
Ph 7.2
Cya 75

Somehow my cya is down to 75.

I checked #s 3x, so maybe I did it wrong the first time.

I will keep testing and posting.

My deep end looks likes worse color than when I started.

Could that be or am I just imagining that?

As always, thanks for guidance.

Greg

Donaldson

Somehow I didn't see your post.

I am off the chlorine tabs and solely using liquid bleach.

Have started SLAM and will continue posting updates.

I am debating a partil drain or possibly reverse osmosis depending on price.

Thank you for your help.

Updated testing results:

2:00 pm
FC 43
Cc 0
Ph 7.2
Cya 70

5:00 pm
FC 37
Cc 0
Ph 7.2
Cya 70

I must have been wrong on original CYA because I now have 3 consistent results in the 70s range.

Is it possible for CYA to go down?

Again, thanks all for your input.

Greg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.