Green Tint to Pool Water

ok; i added 4 more jugs of chlorine...my back yard smells like a chlorine plant...i just brushed the entire pool, too. i'm going to recheck levels in about an hour, make sense? has anyone ever needed more than 10 jugs of 121oz of 8.3% concentrate chlorine to do this?

ok; i just added 4 more jugs of bleach, yikes! my backyard smells like a chlorine factory. I did just brush the entire pool, too; i'll plan to retest in about an hour or so, does that make sense? I am crazy to be panicked about the amount of bleach I've added in total?

ok; i added 4 more jugs of chlorine...my back yard smells like a chlorine plant...i just brushed the entire pool, too. i'm going to recheck levels in about an hour, make sense? has anyone ever needed more than 10 jugs of 121oz of 8.3% concentrate chlorine to do this?
Oh, yeah.

These were really dark green pools. Click on each picture to see the whole story.

whew...added about 6 more bleach jugs (pool math said 4.7 but I overshot on purpose)...waited 15 min and just tested. Now have 6 FC and 9 CC. I only have 6 more jugs of bleach, should i add them all in there or wait until the morning???

IMG_0422.jpgIMG_0424.JPGOk, the pool looks great. Unfortunately, even after i went ahead and added 6 more juss of bleach last night, my FC this morning is 1 and CC 3 (numbers were 3FC and 9CC before my last addition of bleach last night). Not sure how to proceed, as obviously my water doesn't look like the previous people who added a similar amount of bleach. Do I need to add much more than pool math is recommending in one shot? Do i just keep doing the same thing (once we restock our bleach supplies later today, as literally we've used every drop)...please help with either suggestions or just a pep talk that I'm doing the right thing...

Your FC consumption seems really high considering how you pool looks. You haven't done any treatments lately, added any pool store formulations, MPS type "non-chlorine" shock or had a lot of antifreeze go into the pool, have you?

If you're testing now with the taylor k2006, you can just use the 10 mil sample size, drops calculated accordingly, to conserve on reagents.

Since you're relatively new to the forum, I also want to make sure you're following the SLAM Process instructions, because dropping to 6 from 20 will not produce the intended sanitization (or perhaps in this case, oxidization of other chlorine-fighting chemicals).

The most critical elements of the Slam are MAINTAINING to the slam level at all times, which can mean dosing and checking frequently in the beginning, and filtering 24/7.

This is true whether you're fighting a green pool OR a clear pool that won't hold chlorine...because if you can't hold chlorine to regular TFP spec per [fc/cya][/FC/cya] then eventually you'll end up with green.

In essence, we want to get you to a place where its EASY to keep your water sanitized, so keep up the slam til you pass the criteria even though the pool s looking much better ;)

Thanks! I definitely didn't add any antifreeze :) or non chlorine shock or anything else. I do still have my chlorinator running with some pucks in there, thinking that will only help somewhat, right? What do you think about going way above the pool math chlorine to try to blast my way to a higher FC number that I can't get even close to?

That would not be following the SLAM Process instructions I'd posted for you to read and follow. The TFP forefathers wrote em that way to avoid folks having unintended consequences from too-high FC which can fade liners, harm equipment, etc. And from wasting bleach...because the sun will burn off a percentage. If you add six gallons where you only needed 3, for example, 30-50% of that is just going to waste. Its better to add what you need to get a bit above the slam evel, then check again in a few hours and add more.

So out of an abundance of caution, I'd suggest staying below mustard Slam level when you overdose to keep at slam level for a few hours.

Regarding antifreeze, it would have come from the lines on opening a winterized pool if same was used and was not pumped to waste. Did you close yourself sat year, or did a pool co?

Regarding pucks, they will add to your CYA and make your normal operating ratio per [fc/cya][/FC/cya] more of a moving target. If you're actively trying to raise your cya, then it makes sense.

While TFP is all about knowing how to test and control your parameters, giving you the freedom to use whatever you want, most who subscribe to the TFP method avoid using pucks except for vacations. It keeps the testing and calcs simpler and helps ensure you're doing to the correct level/ratio for sanitation.

For each 10 ppm of FC you add by puck, you're adding 6 ppm cya.

Thanks Swampwoman! Now I understand your antifreeze comment. I've used the same pool company to close and open the pool the last 3 years, but I really have no clue what they did. My plan is to stop using the pucks and just go to bleach (except when I'm on vacation) when all this is said and done. They actually probably are close to being done anyway, as I haven't changed them from last weekend. I'm with on you the too-high FC, I'm just feeling frustrated that I can't ever seem to even get remotely too the SLAM level by adding the recommended bleach. I don't have a liner, and quite frankly don't care about a little waste if I can get up to SLAM, what other cautions would the forefathers (or anyone else!) have about me trying to overshoot the bleach in an effort to get to the right FC, even if my FC goes too high??

Well, I added a ton more chlorine last night (I did over shoot by about a gallon, but not too crazy), and FINALLY got the FC over 20, and the CC dropped tremendously. Here's my play-by-play in case it's helpful for other folks or anyone else wants to chime in with anything:

8:10pm Friday: FC 0, CC .5, added 4.5 gallons of 12% (about 1/2 gal over)
8:20pm Friday: FC 10.5 (should've been 20), added 2 more gallons of 12%
8:30pm Friday: FC 24, CC 1.5 (yay!!)
9:30pm Friday: FC 19, CC 1.5, added 1/2 gal
11:00pm Friday: FC 20, CC 0
8am Saturday: FC 12.5, CC .5, added 1.5 gal
10am Saturday: FC 19, CC.5, added .5 gal

Pool is looking great!!! Thanks for everyone's help, you guys ROCK. I'm attaching the picture to show my bleach (that's 8% strength) and pool store chlorine (12%), although I'm short by about 6 containers that are still in my recycle bin. (Ok, don't have enough space for picture, will try again later once I make my donation!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for my delayed response Richard, just saw this now. Yes, it did, and it's been working beautifully since. CC's staying right around zero, and I'm able to keep a FC of 6-8 with just a modest daily chlorine addition. Given how much sun we've been having, I don't think it's unreasonable the rate of burn daily on the chlorine. Thanks for all of your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.