Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My daughter and her cousin both have green stains on the white parts of their swimsuits after swimming all weekend. One other time my daughter has also complained about this. It is not all white parts, just certain areas kinda like something was spilled on it. The first time I just dismissed it as dye from washing it with something, but since it has happened multiple times to more than one person, I'm not sure that is the case.

If I were on the other side of this post, I would ask what copper containing stuff they put in the pool. I have been a good TFP'er in my 8 months of pool ownership and only used the recommended chemicals here. My pool is less than a year old and I do have a heater, but no crazy pH at any time that would damage it. Feel free to look at my pool math logs, but nothing seems off to me.

Thoughts?

Do you have a picture of the stains?

Dissolve some vitamin C in water and apply it to the stains to see if there's any difference.

Also, try vinegar.

Do you have any blonde swimmers with any hair color change?

What is the fabric material?

Here is the pic of the swimsuit, I'll give vinegar and vitamin C a shot. The trichlor is Pool Essentials 3", I bought a 5lb container over the winter for a floater and still have a few left.

IMG_6781.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks more like iron than copper.

Try the vitamin C.

Crush some up and mix with water and brush it in lightly to see what happens.

It's odd that the stains are limited to certain sections?

It would seem logical to expect fairly even coverage unless there's some reason why it's concentrated.

No change in vitamin C or vinegar on the stain.

Patio furniture would make more sense. We have plastic pool in-pool furniture and chairs near the pool, but also an old metal patio set on the patio that I guess could be the culprit. I sit in those the most, but maybe it just shows up on wet white clothing. I'll keep investigating, but really glad its not copper and something with the heater. Thanks all!

Sorry to bring this back from the archives!
@JJ_Tex did you ever get to the bottom of this!?
I have the exact same problem, considered outside of pool as a possibility but keeps occurring in pool, even just leaving daughters top in the pool it will get the green stains!
Cannot get to the bottom of it as yet, initial thoughts were copper.. but levels are ok.

You know, I really forgot about this until you resurrected. I remember finding a repair tie at the bottom of the pool that I could not see and it caused some rust spots near the drain. That could have been the culprit, but we certainly do not have any staining now. Hopefully yours is short lived as well, but I would guess iron or copper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.