green pool low PH Ad TA

monte1

Jun 15, 2010
Helping a friend have not seen pool
They had tested by pool store and added what they suggested including an algaecide and shocking.
Still green no change
I suggested they super chlorinate add 8 gallons bleach. Still green little change in color.
Pool is 18"round in new England.
I asked for a water sample results below

FC .5
CC 1
TA 1 Color black grey not green 1 drop bright red
PH Yellow 12 drops base to get 7.0
CH 50
CYA 40
I have never seen readings this low. I have been tending my own pool for over 20 years
Do we need to bring up PH and TA before trying to shock again.

Yes. That pH is too low. It could be attacking the metal parts in the pump, filter, and heater. And if your pal's pool is plaster, it's going to etch that, too.

If you have pH up, use it. If you have to go buy something, start with raising TA to 50-60. Then see where pH ended up.

Helping a friend have not seen pool
They had tested by pool store and added what they suggested including an algaecide and shocking.
Still green no change
I suggested they super chlorinate add 8 gallons bleach. Still green little change in color.
Pool is 18"round in new England.
I asked for a water sample results below

FC .5
CC 1
TA 1 Color black grey not green 1 drop bright red
PH Yellow 12 drops base to get 7.0
CH 50
CYA 40
I have never seen readings this low. I have been tending my own pool for over 20 years
Do we need to bring up PH and TA before trying to shock again.

HI there, are these test results from a good reccomended test kit or the pool store?

Using a Taylor test kit suggested from forum when I had a battle with red algae/bacteria

- - - Updated - - -

Pool is vinyl liner sand filter
Is PH and TA this low effecting the effectiveness of the sanitizer

Using a Taylor test kit suggested from forum when I had a battle with red algae/bacteria

- - - Updated - - -

Pool is vinyl liner sand filter
Is PH and TA this low effecting the effectiveness of the sanitizer
No.

A sludgy green pool will eat bleach almost as fast as you can pour it in initially. That's why the SLAM Process directions suggest frequent checking, especially in the early stages. Once the FC is above 10, you won't be able to read pH accurately, so you should get it close before you get carried away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.