Green Pool before SWCG

TimInMA

May 26, 2019
Westborough, MA
I'm about to convert to a SWG pool this season, I just checked today and my pool is green :( ugh - so I'm assuming based upon what I read that I follow the normal SLAM to get it algae free and clean before adding the salt and turning on the SWG. So my question is, next year if I open it and it's green again (but now with salt) can using the SWG help with the SLAM process or should the SWG never be turned on until the pool is clear and balanced?

A swg won’t overcome an algae problem. They are simply too slow, especially at the beginning when fc demand is high. They can help maintain at the later stages of slam but it makes it kinda hard to judge where you stand so it’s generally recommended to just leave them off as to not convolute the process since manually dosing is needed anyway.
You can add salt anytime you want so long as it’s mixed for at least 24 hours before turning on the swg. Be sure to test your current salt levels before adding any & sneak up on your target.

closing & opening following the guides should help ensure you close algae free & open that way too.
Closing after the water is 60 degrees & falling @ slam level & opening before the water temp reaches 60 degrees with adequate fc still present are a large part of success.

Reactions: TimInMA
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

full

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.