Green Pool and it isnt Algae

Alwayswantedapool

Platinum Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
York SC
Darn it, just got the pool all balanced and cleaned and it turned green on me.
I don't think it is algae, did a overnight test and did not loose chlorine. Plus chlorine has not been below minimum chlorine levels.
But yesterday I was cleaning some iron spots off the steps and swim out with powered vitamin C and think I caused some kind of metal issue??
Timing was yesterday morning, nice and clear, used the vitamin C around Noon, by 6:00 PM, getting green. And it is
I have had the pool for 5 years, used TFP process the whole time and no issues.
I couldn't have used more then 4 oz's of the vitamin C and have used it in the past with no issues.
Thoughts on what to do to clean this up?

Screenshot_20200608-075554 (002).jpg20200608_073838 (002).jpg20200608_073908 (002).jpg

If the water is as clear as I think from the pics and you passed the OCLT, the Vitamin C didn't do it, the iron did. You have confirmed the presence of iron (on a well maybe?), and for whatever reason it is reacting. This usually happens either because the iron levels are increasing and becoming unmanageable, the pH was too high, and/or the FC was too high for its current CYA. I don't see a heater in your signature, so you might try lowering the pH to 7.2 today to see if that helps. Are you using a good sequestrant? That may help as well.

It is totally strange, I am on a well, but have not added water in months, we have already had 36" of rain this year, so have not added water since last summer.
This is totally new to me, so I haven't used a sequestrant, what should I use?
With all the rain, my ph has been on the low side so I have added Borax to get it from 7.3 to 7.5.

but have not added water in months, we have already had 36" of rain this year, so have not added water since last summer.
That's a lot of rain, however if you didn't lower the water level first, simple dilution and overflow may not have worked as well. Yes, the Purple is what I would get as well.

Just want to confirm: no algaecides used? No heater installed? Nobody else has added any mystery products to the pool in the past year or so?

Probably just a trick of the picture, but the water in those steps looks more blue than the yellowish-green I would expect from iron. So I just want to confirm there's been no source of copper.

No, no Algaecides, no heater, nothing. The pool has been very simple to maintain and really doesn't require much to keep balanced, until now. It is pretty consistently that yellowish-green.
My idea is that all the rain maybe pushed some ground water into the pool. It never flowed over the deck but at one point, the ground water was so high and running so fast, it pushed the liner away from the wall and floor on the shallow end. Only way I can figure out on how iron got into the water.

Agreed on the TA, I had just balanced everything last week and was giving it a chance to stabilize out.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will get some Purple stuff.

You could have a pool store test for metals - it's the one test we take their word on since the home test for it is so expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.