Green in pool after severely lowering CYA - what to do next?

Jun 30, 2013
Hello All,

After getting a bunch of help here 2-3 years ago, I have managed fine on my own ... until now.

We moved into a new house two days ago, and I need to get our pool into swimmable shape by this coming Friday evening (two days from now). When we got here the water looked clear, but I did a full test with my Taylor kit and the CYA was 120-140!! Yesterday I did cycles of partial drain and refill and the CYA as of 9PM last night was 50. I then put in three bags of shock (this stuff: Leslie's Power Powder Plus Flagship Pool Shock and Super-Chlorinator, Multipack Bags), let it run over night, but when I checked the pool this morning the color is exactly the same - light to medium green - basically no change.

The CYA still reads 50, and the chlorine is 'orange' in the quick test kit (didn't have time to do the full test before leaving).

What am I doing wrong and what should be my next steps? Do I need more shock to get it to knock out the algae/green? The robot isn't picking up leaves or any other debris after full runs so that is not the issue.

Pool info:

1) In ground pool (but with a vinyl liner, apparently the old surface cut the feet of the previous owner's grandkids).
2) 15,000 gallons
3) Chlorine pool (not saltwater)

You did great in lowering the CYA! However the powder chlorine/shock is also adding CYA to your water making the issue worse. You need to preform a SLAM and use only liquid chlorine. All solid forms add unwanted things to your water, some add copper which might be your issue.

I have the test results now from a local pool store, and some things are definitely off and concerning:

FC: Over 22.29 (high as their computer could read)
TC: Over 22.48 (high as their computer could read)
CC: 0.19
pH: 8.4
Hardness: 193
TA: 86
CYA: 61
Copper: 0
Iron: 0

They recommended the Jack Magic Yellow Algecide to remove the algae, I did that about 3 hours ago but the pool has not changed color much - still light green in shallow end and medium green in deep end. I have used the Yellow before and it worked, but don't remember how long it took - how long should I be waiting?

Since the chlorine is so high, the pool store's staff plan for me was to:

1) Let the aglecide kill the algae today
2) Tonight/tomorrow use Drop Down (liquid floc) to get the dead algae to the bottom
3) Tomorrrow, vacuum up the dead algae

The PH was high, but they didn't explicitly say to worry about that yet --- If I can get the !*@#!@# green out then I can easily use muriatic acid to drop the PH --- but I really want to make sure I am on the right path to get the algae out.

The Chlorine has been really high since yesterday and the green is still there so I am hoping the Yellow algecide works --- the pool store worker said some algae is resistant to chlorine -- is this true?

Any tips or guidance greatly appreciated.

While you're waiting for the experts to chime in you might want to take a look at this thread where the OP used that same stuff the Pool $tore had you use.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/143572-How-to-right-the-wrong-of-Jacks-Magic-Yellow-Stuff

Interesting. I don't really understand how my chlorine could be off the charts, with a CYA of 61, and there still be so much green algae.

I used the Yellow stuff on our previous pool and it did kill the algae right away (and I *need* the pool swimmable two days from now), so I was willing to go with it since its fast acting.

Nobody here is going to recommend spending money on algaecide. The only thing we want you to spend your hard earned money on is a proper test kit. Check out the chemistry section of pool school. There are links there to suggested test kits, which chemicals to use in your pool and how to properly chlorinate your pool.

I won't be able to give you much advice because I don't trust the results from pool stores. You could try 3 different pool stores and get 3 different sets of results and recommendations that are all over the place.

I believe Jack's magic yellow is going to turn your pool into a bromine pool. I'm sure a expert will comment.

You really have to decide, trouble free pool care or pool store care.
That is correct. You should have never added that.

As mentioned, you need to decide how you will care for your pool. Will you be following TFP recommendations or pool $tore recommendations?

Which Taylor kit do you have?

Your pH is reading high because your FC is well over 10ppm (if we can trust that result).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.