Green deep end, cloudy everywhere else

jasonlk1 said:
Update

The wife and I have been working this issue for a week now! Here are the current numbers as of 9pm tonight:
FC 24.5
Ta 110
Ch 20
Cya 60

How do those numbers look? After a week we are still fighting a cloudy pool. Most of the green is gone and it has cleared up more in the last 2 days than last week. We had some issues with pump and filter. In the last 24 hr we have vac and scrubbed the pool 3 times and back washed once normal press is 12 and we are back washing at 15 pump and filter are back running normal now. The FC has been maintained above 24 all week. We plan to check it again first thing in the am to see if we have any overnight loss. I'm getting a little impatient waiting for this to clear up. I'm thinking about trying to add some DE to our sand filter tomorrow to help this out. Should I? If so how much should I add for a 22" sand filter? Any other suggestions? Btw I'm the husband of the original poster if you haven't figured it out.
Trial and error. Add a cup and see what the pressure gauge does, add another, and so on until its gone up 1 psi. Bet you'll see a big improvement.

To the OP.. one thing I think helped us was getting a pack of debris sheilds & putting it in the skimmer basket for the pump. It was NASTY after 12 hrs!! Then, if only the pump side of the sleeve was really dirty, I'd turn it around (not inside out) and let the other side get soiled up.

Even after going thru About 4 of the debris sheilds, I was still able to kick some stuff up from the bottom today. But the kids have been swimming for the last 2 days. We have literally been in your shoes this week. And yes, the last 3-4 days have been monumentally clearer each day than the entire previous week.

Keep those numbers accurate.. brush, sweep, maybe even vacuum to waste if you can find big spots of settling gunk.

Have faith!! Dont be like me and start to panic and follow everyone else's suggestions. Stay the course!! :)

Cathy

I've read pool school on adding DE. I will go get some in the am and see what happens thanks. I also just remembered that we used zeo sand when we installed this last fall. It looks like that filters down to 3 microns like DE does. I will give it a shot at this point I can't see it hurting. We will see if we loose any FC in the am as well. Thanks for the help.

All right DE is in. Took 8 cups to raise the press 1psi. Looked like milk pouring into the skimmer and I watched the return jet at the same time. It stayed clear. I'm off to brush then after it settles for a bit I will vac. We haven't added any bleach yet today. Waiting on an opinion as to let the FC drop or keep it at 24 still?

jblizzle said:
What are the CC? Did you pass the OCLT? Is the water clear?

Those are the 3 criteria to setup the shock process.

CC is 0
OCLT loss was 1.5 over night
Water is still not clear but getting much better today with use of DE. I had to back flush due to press rise 3 times today once I started using the DE. Every back flush was very dirty.

I'm happy to report we have stayed the course and achieved success! It did take some time but once we started using some DE in the sand filter it definitely made a difference in just the last few days. Thank you tfp!

Here are the numbers from 8:30 pm tonight:
FC 7
Ta 110
Ch 30
Cya 50
Ph 7.5
Cc 0

Two questions. 1 is the wife is wondering if we need to get the ch up above 50? It's an agp with vinyl liner. 2 is she has been using great value brand 33% more concentrated bleach. It says it yields 7.86% available clorine. She said the pool calculator has not been accurate. So I looked at it
And she was using the 6% calculator and I thought the new bleach was close to 8%. Soooo she used the 8% calculator tonight and tried to raise the FC from 7 to 14 for 26000 gal and it said to add 2 gal 3 cups. We did that exactly and 1 hour later we tested FC at 30.5? What are we doing wrong? Last season she used 6% bleach and it worked perfectly. What is up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.