Nassau County, New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey everyone, CYA 60, FC was 4, no CC. Had party two days later FC 1.5ppm and I had green algae forming on the walls of the vinyl. I just slammed it last night to 27 ppm woke up this morning to only 21 ppm. Is that even possible? Water is sparkly beautiful and I cleaned the algae yesterday. Why so much chlorine loss? When I finally settle back down I want to add 10pm more CYA and raise my t15 SWG to 60 percent instead of the 45 percent I had it on. Thanks

Did you check 20 minutes after you assumed 27 that you actually achieved it or possibly it never reached. Sparky water is pretty but not a guarantee there's no algae bloom starting. Green water is when it wasn't caught on time that's where the op testing comes to play. You need to brush 2-3 times daily while slamming and keep the slam up topping it back up to slam level per 60 CYA because slamming for 50 may not work. Constantly check twenty minutes after the LC addition that you have achieved the level. For all you know the chlorine is week.

I just slammed it last night to 27 ppm woke up this morning to only 21 ppm. Is that even possible?
This is why it's a 'process' and not the one-and-done treatment favored by the pool service/store, which leads so many folks to find us.

Re-read the SLAM Process and soak more of it in. It's alot of info at first and each time you revisit it, more sinks in.

The more you M(aintain), the quicker it goes, no matter how bad it may be.

I get it that nobody wants to wake up at 3AM to dose, but hack the system with whoever is available. Have the night owl of the family dose before bed and have the early bird take over the AM shift. If you need to be out for a couple hours, dose out of turn right before you go to buy yourself the next few hours away.

Algae is a chlorine hungry beast.
Check & scrub every nook & cranny where it may hide (light niches, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

SLAM ON 🤩

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.