Great suction at pump, cannot vaccuum

Hi All,
Last July I set up an 32 feet by 16 foot Intex Ultraframe pool. I skipped the included pump and filter, and instead used an old Pacfab sand filter and Hayward pump. it worked fine, but lacked a way to run a vacuum, so I just installed a Hayward skimmer today, and the hose run from the skimmer to the pump is only about 3 feet.

The skimmer sucks, as in REALLY brings in a lot of water. Pressure at the gauge on top of the sand filter is at 4 psi. The issue is that when I try to connect the vacuum hose, I lose suction pretty much immediately, despite being careful to have as little air in the hose as possible when I attempt to connect..

I also have noticed that there is at least one place where air is being sucked in along with the water. The lid to the pre-pump basket has enough of a breach that water will get pushed out of it at times. Maybe it is related to the issue of suction getting cut off when I attach the vacuum hose? And I am only used to in ground pools, so the fact that the water level is higher than the pump seems weird to me... or maybe I've got it set up incorrectly?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.