Granular Chlorine- Don't dissolve it in water before adding to pool?

Gigama

Apr 26, 2015
Denton Texas
Happy almost Summer, everyone. It is 80 in Dallas today, so we are out getting everything ready for the season. Quick question, I have some HTH Ultra granular chlorine. It says not to dissolve in water before adding, which is different from my previous experience. I bought this brand as they had a deal on it at Leslies and I am tired of getting gouged on chemicals.

The issue is that I just spent plenty of $ resurfacing my pool, so I would prefer not to risk some stray granules burning the bottom of my pool, even after I brush it after throwing in the product. Is there a downside to dissolving it in a bucket first or what? I figured I would bounce this off of the experts at TFP. It is a great site and resource for people like me that need all the help they can get.

Any insight you have is greatly appreciated. All the best.

I can't directly answer your question, but wanted to make sure you knew what you are putting in your pool.

That stuff is cal-hypo, which adds chlorine and calcium. Too much calcium in your water and you will start to get white scaling along your tile and other areas of your pool.
It is an okay product to use if your calcium levels are in line, but we see lots of instances of people using that as their only source of chlorine and having to drain their pool to get the calcium levels down.
On here most people will recommend liquid chlorine as your daily chlorine source since that just adds chlorine. The tabs and powders have calcium or cya that will build up in your pool.

If it is cal hypo I would dissolve it first no matter what the package says
As mentioned above make sure your ch can handle the increase before using cal hypo

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.