Got a strange question

Sep 7, 2018
Kansas
Kinda strange but I need a good answer. I bought a new hose for vacuuming out my pool. It's about 6 feet longer than the old one. Same interior dimensions, just a little longer. Could this lesson the amount of suction? I have backwashed and closed the main drain, but I just don't get a lot of suction. Maybe a new impeller? It's only 2 years old, but ..... I wouldn't think a longer hose would cause this issue, but I have to ask.

Hey Tucker !! How are you connecting to the skimmer ? If you are using a skimmer plate, the rubber gasket underneath may be shot. Or the collar where the flexy pipe attaches may be torn and sucking air. Those things fail all the time and you can hear it whistling when they do. I finally broke down and replaced mine after dealing with it for a few seasons. I checked the online reviews and bought a supposed HD hose and that one did it too a few weeks later.

Hey Tucker !! How are you connecting to the skimmer ? If you are using a skimmer plate, the rubber gasket underneath may be shot. Or the collar where the flexy pipe attaches may be torn and sucking air. Those things fail all the time and you can hear it whistling when they do. I finally broke down and replaced mine after dealing with it for a few seasons. I checked the online reviews and bought a supposed HD hose and that one did it too a few weeks later.
I did just buy a skimmer plate, didn't come with a gasket but the basket and plate are all under water. No leaks in either end of the hose. I guess I'll go back to just putting the hose end into the skimmer suction hole without the plate. Maybe I tried too many differences at once. Thanks

Reactions: Newdude
Check the water level in regards to the hose collar. It could be high and dry and grabbing air. You should hear it if it is. I found that with mine, splashing some water to fill the collar made a big difference. In theory it should have sucked it dry in 2 seconds but it somehow didn’t and kept the seal for 20 minutes at a time. Most times I only had to splash it twice and by the time it was whistling again I was done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.