Goofed and added dry stabilizer directly to the pool

reba627

Bronze Supporter
Aug 6, 2021
Michigan
Do I need to get in there and vacuum? First time using TFP method and finally got some CYA and missed the part where it said to not add directly to the pool unless in a sock 🤦🏼‍♀️ There’s about 20 ounces sitting at the bottom (above ground, vinyl liner).

I swept it around but as you can see, nothing much happening.

Will it be okay overnight to vacuum in the morning? Or should I get the manual one out and pull up as much as I can?

D4691519-4B50-496D-A921-860CCF5AC1C4.jpeg

Vacuum it up into the filter. It will dissolve in a few days. Do not let it sit on the vinyl or it will bleach it out.
Thank you so much! I do have a couple of spots of bleached out from when I had the shock from the pool store in a pair of nylons and some didn’t fully dissolve and sank.

Is there a specific type of sock that is best to use for next time I have to add some? Or can it go right in the skimmer basket? (Or should I take the basket out and pour it right into the skimmer?

From Pool School:

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Pool Math. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Women's knee highs work real well. Thick sweat socks...not so much. Squeezing/massaging is the key. Let the sock/nylon soak for 20 minutes or so, then start squeezing until the white stuff stops coming out. Let it soak and squeeze again. Repeat until the CYA is dissolved. Do it in front of a return or in the skimmer (the latter works best for me). If you have lots of CYA to add, use multiple socks with up to 1.5 to 2 lbs each.

Reactions: .ben
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.