Globrite Installation questions.

bobafet1

May 14, 2020
Fontana, CA
Alright, so I'm DIY my electrical stuff. I was starting on the Globrites today and noticed a package of silicone lube in the box. I called Pentair to ask what it's for since there is no reference to it in the manual. The tech support rep said "hmm, good question..I don't know why either..let me google it". Then he text'd me a pic of someone's youtube video. Needless to say, I was not impressed. So, I started googling myself and found this site along with a bunch of amazon reviews saying how these lights are junk and they have inherent design/leak problems. I was a bit bummed to read all this when I was just starting to roll up my sleeves and install the first one. I realize LED tech is finicky when it's close to water. I just figure I'll give it a go and hope I'm one of the lucky ones.

So, does anyone know what that darn lube is for and/or is there a better way to install these aside from what the manual says? One amazon review suggested putting silicone to seal these better and support the front end of them.

Any info is appreciated.

Hello,

Are you sure they are not microbrites? I did all my own electrical on my pool. I originally purchased Globrite and I do not recall any lube in the box. Long story short, I needed microbtites and they have lube for an o-ring when code calls for a "dry" installation. Your install should be fine with a wet installation. All that means is the tube the wire goes through will get wet when filling the pool with water. If there is no o-ring in the box or place for it, it is not needed.

Hello,

Are you sure they are not microbrites? I did all my own electrical on my pool. I originally purchased Globrite and I do not recall any lube in the box. Long story short, I needed microbtites and they have lube for an o-ring when code calls for a "dry" installation. Your install should be fine with a wet installation. All that means is the tube the wire goes through will get wet when filling the pool with water. If there is no o-ring in the box or place for it, it is not needed.
yeah, I'm dead sure that they are globrites. The box has it on there, my invoice does, and the installation manual.

I just looked at one. It has a small white ring near the rear of the light. The ring helps hold it into the gunite sleeve. The lube will help slide that light into the tube. Just put a little on that rubber seal when installing to help it slide in.

I just looked at one. It has a small white ring near the rear of the light. The ring helps hold it into the gunite sleeve. The lube will help slide that light into the tube. Just put a little on that rubber seal when installing to help it slide in.
thanks, thats what I figured it was for but wanted to confirm with Pentair first. you would think if anyone would know it would be them.

Your absolutely right. If you continue to have problems, see if they will give you the number to your local rep. The San Diego rep is great. But out of common curtesy, I won't give his number out on a forum. He helped me when i had a question about my equipment. The Pentair manuals could use an overhaul IMO.

Ive had to have 6 of these stupid things replaced since 2014 at $500 a pop. There should be a class action lawsuit against Pentair. I now have to replace ANOTHER one. I was looking at doing it myself, the only thing I dont see in my setup is were the wires from all the lights hook together to one wire that feeds into the Control Panel.G0027802.JPG

If you have one switch that activates all lights, then look for a box with 7 conduit pipes ruining into it. 6 pipes would be one for each lights, then one pipe going to the controller. It may be easier if you post some pics of your set up. I would suggest starting a new post with your pics and question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.