GFCI module on cord of Kystal Clear sand filter pump keeps tripping

May 27, 2015
Illinois
So after a series of thunderstorm and rain showers that have been in my area the last couple of weeks I noticed that my pump was not running. (Normally I don't know anyhow because I leave before it kicks on and am home after it is done for the day.) I check it and it looked like the breaker on the end of the cord had tripped. I reset it and the pump restarted. All was well. I monitored it and noticed about a day later it had tripped again. I do not know how long it ran before tripping the second time.

After trying to reset it again it instantly tripped once more. The cord itself is plugged into another GFCI that is attached to the exterior of my garage. I reset it and the GFCI on the cord, plugged everything in and it all fired back up.....for about 5 minutes and then the cord GFCI tripped again. At this point I am figuring something is wrong. I run a drop cord from another outlet (not GFCI protected) to the cord, reset the cord's GFCI, and the pump fires back up. This time it was for a little bit longer, but it still shut off all the same.

I tried opening the pump to see if there was any water in there, which there wasn't, just some minor debris that I blew out. I also looked at the cords for any browning and didn't find any, the boards where all nice and green with all cables firmly attached.

At this point I am thinking I need to replace the GFCI module on cord, but I wanted to get some input from any pool owners that are better versed in electricity (I know basics, I've replaced a few outlets in my house, but that is about it). Should I focus on just the cord GFCI or replace the outlet, or both? During this whole ordeal the outlet on the garage did not trip at all. From my description does it appear to be that the problem is in one of the two outlets or potentially somewhere else?

You don't need 2 GFCI's on the same circuit. Cut the one on the pump off and replace it with a regular plug. I had to do this with my pump plugged into a timer because the timer would trip the GFCI every time it turned the pump on.

Hey jeffchap, thanks for the input. I'll try that and report back with what happens. Fortunately I do not have to cut it off directly, Intex put on a removable version that you can open and disconnect the wires (presumably to replace the plug without purchasing a new pump).

Just wanted to pop back in and confirm that I have my issue fixed! Thanks jeffchap.

I went to my local Menard's and bought a 15 amp 3-prong plug, removed the GFCI adapter on the end of the pump cord (didn't have to cut it since it was made to come off) and wired up the new plug on the end of the cord. I plugged it into the GFCI receptacle that is on the exterior of my garage and the pump is working well. No tripping of the GFCI breaker thus far. My guess at this point is my GFCI adapter that was on the end of the cord had become faulty after all the storms (some which knocked the power out) and was simply malfunctioning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.