GFCI breaker started tripping

Jun 27, 2011
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've had the same wiring configuration for 10+ years at the pump equipment site. Primary electricity to breaker at the main box to GFCI outlet at pump site to intermatic 101 to motor. In normal times there would also be a saltwater generator wired to the intermatic as well. Currently that is not the case, i have pulled it to limit possibilities.

I am having intermittent issues of the GFCI tripping and then i am unable to reset without tripping again. i have pulled it all out, replaced with new connections and fresh grounding connections. Then, it will work for a week or so then trip again with the inability to reset. I did not replace the GFCI itself.

Thoughts? and what other info can i provide to help? thx, SR

MOderator, please move if i posted in incorrect forum.

Last edited:
I've had the same wiring configuration for 10+ years at the pump equipment site. Primary electricity to breaker at the main box to GFCI outlet at pump site to intermatic 101 to motor. In normal times there would also be a saltwater generator wired to the intermatic as well. Currently that is not the case, i have pulled it to limit possibilities.f

I am having intermittent issues of the GFCI tripping and then i am unable to reset without tripping again. i have pulled it all out, replaced with new connections from the GFCI to pump with fresh grounding connections. Motor is probably 7 years old.

it will work for a week or so then trip again with the inability to reset.

Thoughts? and what other info can i provide to help? thx, SR

MOderator, please move if i posted in incorrect forum.
Have you tried replacing the GFCI and is rated at 20 amps?

Please fill out your signature HERE

It helps us know if you have a VS intelliflo that was susceptible to the phantom trips, or a SS pump that has a bigger issue.

Also your general location. San Jose doesn't have lightning damage/surges the way Atlanta does.

Last edited:
788227C8-2D51-4414-86B3-5E5862C70882.jpegOk, I have replaced gfci with a new 20amp outlet. Still having the same problem. When the pump is not wired in, the outlet reads properly grounded.

I’m obviously making a wiring mistake on the grounding somewhere. Pics enclosed.

5ECD6875-E563-4ACE-8A8B-E294F6280188.jpeg

If you eliminate the gcfi as a problem, then there is a real ground fault. This means at least a small current is escaping from a hot side of the circuit to ground. 240v wiring is all hot. 120v is half. A leak can be in wiring or inside the motor. Either way the root cause is failed insulation so conductors touch or bridging of two things that shouldn't touch with a conducting material like carbon. If the pump has electronics (a VSP), it can be a flaw there: something failed or badly designed, as is the case now and then with Intelliflo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is that a new GFI?
Yes
If you eliminate the gcfi as a problem, then there is a real ground fault. This means at least a small current is escaping from a hot side of the circuit to ground. 240v wiring is all hot. 120v is half. A leak can be in wiring or inside the motor. Either way the root cause is failed insulation so conductors touch or bridging of two things that shouldn't touch with a conducting material like carbon. If the pump has electronics (a VSP), it can be a flaw there: something failed or badly designed, as is the case now and then with Intelliflo.

ok, i've chased this all the way down to the pump being the grounding issue. 1hp Century b128 probably 5-7 years old. Is this a break it open and find the short type of repair or new motor. I have one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.