Apr 6, 2023
New Orleans
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, newbie pool owner here.

Pool is an above ground vinyl with about 6500 gallons.

After a vacation and the kids not touching the pool we had a major algae outbreak that has taken me all month to actually start getting a change in color.

Chemistry at start of SLAM:

FC 0
Ph 7.2
TA 120
CYA 30

So after a month of trying to get this outbreak under control I'm finally seeing some changes in color and the pool is now a light turquoise from dark green.

As I haven't passed the 3 tests to stop the SLAM I'm still maintaining my FC at SLAM levels but just today I tested my CYA levels and it has dropped below 30. Is this something I should fix before continuing the SLAM? Kind of worried to loose the progress we have made so far after trying for so long.

Also now that it's changed color to a lighter should I be using any clarifyer to help the particles settle or should the pool clear up on its own?

Test kit I own is a Taylor's K2006

Thank you for the help

Hey Benny and belated Welcome !!!
just today I tested my CYA levels and it has dropped below 30. Is this something I should fix before continuing the SLAM?
Yes but it doesn't need to stop SLAM. Hang a sock with 10ppms worth of CYA in front of the return and the SLAM carries on.

How often are you testing and adding ?

Hey Benny and belated Welcome !!!

Yes but it doesn't need to stop SLAM. Hang a sock with 10ppms worth of CYA in front of the return and the SLAM carries on.

How often are you testing and adding ?
Perfect will set it and leave it overnight.

Have been testing every 2 hours as the FC was dropping by 4 in that space of time.

Since the color change it has been using less FC so will reduce the amount of testing I'm doing.

Have been testing every 2 hours as the FC was dropping by 4 in that space of time.
Awsome. Then it's just really being a battle then.
Since the color change it has been using less FC so will reduce the amount of testing I'm doing.
Also awesome because that's a normal step in the process. As you start to make headway, the FC has less to kill and therefore lasts longer between adds.

Stay the course, you got this.

Reactions: Benny07
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.