Getting rid of ants around the pool

Spidey9000

May 19, 2020
Long Island
Since we put pavers around the pool five years ago, we have problems with ants digging up the sand underneath them every spring. It some cases, it's right next to the skimmer basket causing sand to get in the pool. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of them? And how to keep them from coming back?

Talstar P is the best stuff I've found. I've been using it for the last two or three years primarily for ant and spider control. I buy the 3/4 gallon size since it has a shelf life of three years. You only use 1/2 to 1 oz. per gallon of water so it's a much better value than the less effective stuff you buy at the big-box stores. I use a 4-gallon backpack sprayer. I only have to apply it two or three times per year...results last for months. It's pet and child safe after it dries. The site I linked has excellent tutorials for insect control. The first time I purchased, I got it from Amazon for the same price listed on the linked site.

Reactions: Randrx2
I am trying this out this year Termidor SC I have a real problem with ants. They literally climb up the outside of my house and come in through my ceiling vents. I have caulked, tried everything on the market at the big box stores and nothing phases them. We have them in the house year round, you can be floating in the pool and they are crawling on you.

I sprayed a month ago for the first time and it has been awesome. I am starting to see a few ants but we have had so much rain and I tore up all my flower beds and trenched around the pool for a water line. We have nine days of rain coming in and when it dries out I am going to spray again.

I spray with Talstar-P also, bait with home-made borax bait (or use "Gourmet Ant Bait" brand) in traps both inside and outside, and in addition I spray a product called Phantom around cracks and crevices that have active ant trails - think windows, baseboards, concrete foundations, & sidewalks. I also use another bait when things get bad.

We have Argentine ants which are a pain to every get rid of and you just have to hope to control them...

Talstar P is the best stuff I've found. I've been using it for the last two or three years primarily for ant and spider control. I buy the 3/4 gallon size since it has a shelf life of three years. You only use 1/2 to 1 oz. per gallon of water so it's a much better value than the less effective stuff you buy at the big-box stores. I use a 4-gallon backpack sprayer. I only have to apply it two or three times per year...results last for months. It's pet and child safe after it dries. The site I linked has excellent tutorials for insect control. The first time I purchased, I got it from Amazon for the same price listed on the linked site.

Thank you. That sounds like it's worth trying. We have a very inquisitive little dog that will go right for that area so pet safe is important to me. Plus since it's around the pool, the last thing I want to do is poison my family.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.