Getting pool clean and Leaving for vacation what should I do to the pool

Jun 23, 2012
Farmington wv
I have a 16 x48 inter pool. I have been having an algae problem. The pool had some green on the bottom but water was crystal clear. I let everyone get in Friday night which stirred everything up. The water got very cloudy but not green. I tested the water with the k-2006 Fc 2 ph 7.6 ta 120 cya 40 I got the pool up to shock level and held it there all day Saturday. The pool really cleared up Saturday. I Checked fc just before dark Saturday night it was 22.5 I got up and didn't get around to checking it until almost 10 today but fc was 21. I swept it today which doesn't do much good with the intex sweeper. We got into the pool tonight and it got a bit cloudy not too bad. I just checked fc it's at 16.5 I also checked ph and it says 7.0 which can I trust that number with fc so high? I also added some alagecide tonight. What should I do to get it all cleaned up and what should I do before I leave in a week to keep it clean?

I have a 16 x48 inter pool. I have been having an algae problem. The pool had some green on the bottom but water was crystal clear. I let everyone get in Friday night which stirred everything up. The water got very cloudy but not green. I tested the water with the k-2006 Fc 2 ph 7.6 ta 120 cya 40 I got the pool up to shock level and held it there all day Saturday. The pool really cleared up Saturday. I Checked fc just before dark Saturday night it was 22.5 I got up and didn't get around to checking it until almost 10 today but fc was 21. I swept it today which doesn't do much good with the intex sweeper. We got into the pool tonight and it got a bit cloudy not too bad. I just checked fc it's at 16.5 I also checked ph and it says 7.0 which can I trust that number with fc so high? I also added some alagecide tonight. What should I do to get it all cleaned up and what should I do before I leave in a week to keep it clean?
You need to continue a SLAM until you pass all three criteria to end the SLAM.

Shock level for a CYA of 40ppm is FC 16ppm. If you raised your FC to shock level Saturday, how did it get up to 22.5ppm Saturday night? What did you use to raise FC? What is your CC level?

Algaecide is a preventive item, using it now is like getting a flu shot after you get the flu. What kind of algaecide was it? Does it contain copper or ammonia?

pH will test falsely high with FC over 10ppm, but yours seemed to drop from 7.6 to 7.0? Have you added any acid?

I was shooting for a fc of 20 but went over a bit. The cc is 0 has been even with the little bit of green in the water. I have not used any acid I will check it again when I get home and see what is is today. So I guess technically I am passing the test I hold over night water is clear and no cc. I'm pretty sure the problem is the filter is too small. I changed the filter last night and again this morning and it was plugged with white junk. But pool is a lot clearer today.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I'm using liquid chlorine

Algae is not a filter issue, it is a chemistry issue.

You should be maintaining a SLAM until all three criteria are met:
1) Water is clear and free of all algae, dead or alive
2) Pass OCLT
3) CC is 0.5ppm or less

If you have visible algae you have not met #1.

Be sure to brush frequently to expose the algae to the chlorine.

pH will test falsely high with FC over 10ppm. With a TA of 120ppm I would think it will climb on it's own.

Just stay the course with the SLAM until you pass the three criteria to stop. Remember to brush, that is very important.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One strange thing I just retested the water it's now showing
Fc 12.5
Cc 0
ta 80 but the water turned green to yellow not red
Ph 7.0 I got a 7.0 as soon as I mixed it but it sat for 2 or 3 minutes and showed around 8.0

The only thing I did was add some water when I was sweeping would that change my task much?
Should adjust ph and ta. Now?

ta 80 but the water turned green to yellow not red
Ph 7.0 I got a 7.0 as soon as I mixed it but it sat for 2 or 3 minutes and showed around 8.0

The PH test is not accurate when FC is over 10, I would not make any adjustments based on testing with FC that high.

Higher FC levels can also bleach out the color on the TA test making the color appear incorrectly, I experienced this earlier in the summer, Taylor includes that info in the manual included with the K-2006

Since the pool is in good shape now what should I do to keep it that way while I'm gone. My dad is going to come over 2 or 3 times during the week but he doesn't know how to test the water. He has had a pool for almost 30 years but was always a put a pound of granulated in once a week kind of person. So he can add bleach but how much should I have him add each time with out testing it? I could leave some test strips maybe? Should I cover the pool? Should I leave the pump run the whole time? Any input will be appreciated.

My thoughts as I am facing a similar situation with vacation. If you could cover the pool it would mostly eliminate chlorine loss I believe. However I have no experience with covers and I suspect it is very dependent on the type of cover. I will let others confirm or deny my thought here.

Do you know your average per day chlorine loss? If you had that number you could multiply x3 and have him add that amount of chlorine every 3 days. This should keep you above minimum and below shock. Might start with a higher FC to ensure you never drop below the minimum FC number?

As for pH & TA. What was the last readings you had before the algae event?

Ok I did a test today at day light I had the fc up to 6 and I just checked it now and it was at 3.5. So I'm looking at a 2.5 ppm usage per day. So if I cover it would that cut in maybe half? I was thinking of changing the filter then bringing the pool to shock level just before I leave. Then having him add 30 oz of 10% every 2 days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.