Getting NPT micro pebble tomorrow, worried about PB cutting corners

andrewps21

Oct 16, 2022
Irvine, CA
I'm wondering how the NPT micro pebble should be installed and mixed. I choose NPT Moraine Blue micro pebble a long time ago Pool Finishes: Micro | NPTpool.com
Recently the PB started looking at the finish and said oh you want the micro with Puerto Rico glass (indicating it would be more expensive than the micro pebble I choose). I said I wasn't sure and I recall the store rep saying its a premix so you don't choose the 1,2,3 bags of glass like with larger pebbles.

I got the formula card from NPT:
  • Stonescapes® Micro PreBlend, 12 bags, 80 lbs ea, 960 lbs.
  • NPT Lobo Modifier / Pebble-Glass, 1 bag, 25 lbs ea, 25 lbs.
  • QuartzScapes® Barbados Blue Liquid Pigment 2 qts. OR dry pigment
I asked him about the pre-blend, he said it does not come premix and that he would throw the glass on top and all the glass is the same (again I though it was a premix because its smaller glass to go with the smaller pebble). Again it seems there is limited info on the micro pebble so its hard to know what is the recommended install, but this all sounded different to what the store rep said.

Any ideas on how to find out the full story I don't know enough about how the premix works to speak intelligently and push back?

I will see what they bring tomorrow and take photos but after its done it will be much harder to resolve then now. Should I ask for the exact formula he will use, how can I verify its micro and not mini? Can I ask the local store if they have an order for my address and what it includes?

Suggestions on how the micro pebble with glass works, how it comes, do PB often mix it themselves to save on the premix or use leftovers. Will there be a warranty impact?

Any advice would be really great. Thanks

Update: Ok so spoke with the plaster guys this morning. The summary seems to be. NPT does indeed sell the micro as a pre-blend of glass, cement and pebble. So what a lot of builders do is go directly to the supplier SCP Distributors (which have a very close relationship with NTP from their website, facebook etc). Buy the micro pebble, glass and cement from them and then mix it themselves on the truck. Does seem to be quite common, and basically the same process they use for mini and the other pebbles. I'm sure it does save costs but also gives them a bit more control over the cement / pebble mixture and keeps the training and process the same for all finishes. Hand casting the glass afterwards again does save costs but also seems to be quite common and does allow the bling to remain on the surface where it will be seen and reflect the light.

So hopefully everything goes well today. I do feel like they could be a bit more upfront that it is not from NTP using the pre-blend which is what we spoke to the sales rep about in the showroom and expected. But also seems like it will be fine. Suppose the only other question will be the warranty, will NTP cover it. I would think another part of the NTP direct cost would be that coverage.

So glad I came across this thread. We are also considering moraine finish for our pool. Do you like it? Is there any green present? Want a dark blue (not too dark) with no green. Not too many pics of moraine out there so whatever you can share will be helpful!
Hi. Did you decide? is your project done? i am not finding enough photo on this blog site for pools. i saw a handful from the link the main administrator repost. let me know. i would love to see the final. I am also looking for blue no green. my dark green grass will nearly hug my pool with only 2feet coping on a few sides. anyway thank you in advance for the final photos.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.