Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have an 18'x36' in-ground pool that is about 14 years old. The pool has a Sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter. My pool has a skimmer and a dual bottom drain and normally I turn the valve so it pulls water equally from both. I live in Toronto so my pool is closed each year in October and opened up in early May.

After opening my pool this year (about two weeks ago) I seem to be getting a fair amount of air in the system. The return jets show a fair amount of air bubbles and the pump filter basket never completely fills up. I have tried switching the valve to change the water flow to come from skimmer or bottom drains and it doesn't change anything. If I open up the air relief valve at the top of my pool filter (by the pressure gauge) air is continuously expelled, along with water. Even if I leave it open for 30 minutes or more. This stops the bubble from coming out of the return jets. The filter pressure gauge reads about 10 which is normal. These air bubbles are not normal for my system.

Very little of my pipes are above ground and there doesn't seem to be a place where there could be a crack that allows air in. Certainly I don't see any water leaking.

Where could the air be getting in? The only options I can think of are the O rings on the pump filter basket, or the O ring for the Sta-rite filter. I have tried cleaning both of those without this fixing the situation - I took apart the Sta-rite sytem and did a thorough cleaning of the filter catridges as I normally do after they have been running for a week at the beginning of the season as they get very dirty from all of the dirt and other rap that collects in the pool over the winter. When I shut the filter off water immediately runs out of the filter - I don't think this used to happen.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix or troubleshoot?

I posted this in the wrong thread, but here is the solution for my problem in case it helps anyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.