Getting Air in lines when vacuuming

AimeeH

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 2, 2012
Columbia SC
I'm stumped and I don't think I should be so maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

When I'm vacuuming the pool, I'm getting air in the lines as I see the bubbles start to come from the returns and it increases as i go on to the point I can see the air at the pump filter. My procedure:
  • turn off pump/close valve to main drains and close valve to the jet returns on the deep end steps/turn pump back on
  • attach hose to vacuum head and put that in the pool
  • take other end of hose and hold up to return until all the air is out of the hose (vacuum head stops bubbling)
  • attach skimmer plate and attach to skimmer-keeping under water
  • have replaced hose
  • have replaced skimmer plate
The amount of air starts out unnoticeable but after about 20 minutes of using the vacuum, the spray coming from returns can't be ignored.

My old hose leaked at the skimmer side connection. Well, specifically it sucked. With the hose relaxed it made a gargling noise and if i was stretched tho the far corner it whistled. I would splash some water onto the part where the hose met the coupler and it would stop for a few minutes. I see that you replaced the hose but the new one might be doing it too. All of the bad reviews on amazon complained of this or the hose collapsing, both soon after purchase. It could also be the vaccumming RPM is too high for the hose and its causing cavitation. If you only have the problem when vaccuuming, its pretty much gotta be one of those 2.

Thanks. This gives me a place to look. This just started in the last few weeks (8 years after build) and the hose I had was purchased last year but I don't always store it correctly, never imagined the problem would continue with a brand new hose used first yesterday if it was the hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.