Getting a winter cover to last longer

TazJMT

Jun 19, 2014
Spotswood, NJ
What in the world do you do to get your above ground winter cover to last more than 1 season? I always buy the "Best" cover (thickest, best quality) of the kinds offered. Every year when I take it off to open the pool, I hold it up to the light and can see pin holes of light/porous through it. Every winter i am meticulous about draining water that accumulates on the cover (my neighbors think i am nuts I drain it off so much). This year I tried to sneak a 2nd year out of my cover and paid the price-bacteria got in and caused ammonia in the water-what a pain

When I close, it crank it down with a cable/winch and use cover clips also. Someone at a pool store suggested chlorine gas is building up between the cover and water, so I should use this Leslie's Chlor Neutralizer Pool Chemical to bring the FC down to near 0. I tried that one year even though it felt really dumb and still didnt save the cover. I assume I am supposed to close the pool with the FC at "target" range. I don't use milk jugs or anything to weight it down.

I remember growing up we used to have covers last multiple seasons

My neighbors and friends all tell me they buy the cheapest cover they can find and just throw it out every year.

How do you make a cover last more than 1 season?
Is there a particular one you recommend?I have gotten them from Leslie's and poolsupplies.com

thanks

John

My winter cover (just a basic tarp from the hardware store) lasted two seasons now with no rips. I don't drain water off the cover until opening in spring, and always close by bring the water up to SLAM level.

IMO chlorine doesn't kill the covers, UV does. Perhaps it's all the water and snow blanketing the pool all winter that sustains mine.

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.

My winter cover (just a basic tarp from the hardware store) lasted two seasons now with no rips. I don't drain water off the cover until opening in spring, and always close by bring the water up to SLAM level.

IMO chlorine doesn't kill the covers, UV does. Perhaps it's all the water and snow blanketing the pool all winter that sustains mine.

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.
Do you let the chlorine level drift back down before closing or close it at/near SLAM level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.