North Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
First year pool owner here... So with the cold weather in Georgia (below freezing temps this week), I now understand how Jandy's Freeze Protect works. It's great for the variable speed circulation pump, but I really don't like having my bubblers and waterfall running the entire time that the temp dips below 34F. It just seems like a terrible waste of electricity/money. I'm thinking it will be better to just pull the drain plugs on those pumps and blow out the suction/return lines with a shop vac. I'd likely also turn the breakers off for the pumps at the panel as well to prevent them from running. I'm not planning on draining the filter or the main pump. Is there anything else that I'm missing?

Since the bubbler and water feature are on a separate pump then your plan is good to drain all. The only issue maybe if your equipment pad is lower than the pool as you may have water push back in the pipes. You may need to put a plug in the pipe by the pump to hold air in the line.

Thanks guys! The water level for the pool is just below the level of the pad, and the suction for both pumps is well below that (wall and floor vs skimmers). I think I should be okay with water not draining back into the lines.

Got both pumps winterized, and the water is not draining back into the lines. (y) I did have one other question. I just left the plugs out in the dry pump baskets, and turned off the individual panel breakers for the pumps. I pulled them off the list for freeze protection, but my regular program has them each cycle for 15 mins per day to put fresh chlorine in the lines. Is there any harm in letting the controller switch them, even if the breaker is off to prevent them from turning on? I tested the waterfall, and the controller seems to think it's on (no errors), so I don't see why it would cause a problem, but wanted to make sure. That way, I don't have to change my normal programs. The only other thing I've done is roll back chlorine production for the SWG system significantly.

Got both pumps winterized, and the water is not draining back into the lines. (y) I did have one other question. I just left the plugs out in the dry pump baskets, and turned off the individual panel breakers for the pumps. I pulled them off the list for freeze protection, but my regular program has them each cycle for 15 mins per day to put fresh chlorine in the lines. Is there any harm in letting the controller switch them, even if the breaker is off to prevent them from turning on? I tested the waterfall, and the controller seems to think it's on (no errors), so I don't see why it would cause a problem, but wanted to make sure. That way, I don't have to change my normal programs. The only other thing I've done is roll back chlorine production for the SWG system significantly.
That will be fine. Just remember that before you turn on the breaker in the Spring - that you have the drain plugs in and ready to go. On things like that, I tend to put a tag on the breaker and the pump - just as a reminder and also if for some reason someone else may accidentally hit on the breaker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.