General specs for sun shelf addition and raising a pool beam?

KeysNole

In The Industry
May 7, 2016
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Does anyone in the business have rebar specs for adding a sun shelf to an existing pool (shelf will be approx 6' L x 15' W x 3' H) and raising a pool beam? I ask because all of the companies/subs have different ways of doing things. Some use rebar spaced at 1' for the shelf, then hand mix/shoot concrete in. Some use rip rap or even foam (where the heck would I get foam?!?) to fill in the shelf area prior to adding concrete.

As for raising our pool beam, what would the rebar specs be on that? Most seem to run a horizontal rebar around the perimeter that is tied in at various points.

Any insight would be appreciated. Pool is in South Florida. We are remodeling our existing 15' x 30' with spa.

The shelf should be #3 @ 12" O.C. and expoxied into the existing shell. The middle void can be filled with whatever you want.

4'x4'x8' blocks of foam are not hard to find. Any architectural molding manufacturer will have piles of them.

Is the raised beam cosmetic or will it be retaining?

Thank you for the reply. That is about what I figured on the shelf. Some people like foam or rip rap, and some just fill with concrete. The foam seems to make sense as long as there are no issues with the concrete adhering to it.

Beam will be retaining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.