Apr 16, 2013
Elk Grove, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP members,
I recently struggled through clearing obstructions in my pool's sweep piping and learned a few things that seem they should not exist but are common in pool construction:
1. The sweep piping is smaller diameter piping than the skimmer circuit piping. By definition, smaller diameter is more prone to clogging.
2. The sweep piping is assembled with 90 degree elbows instead of using two 45 degree elbows for turns. The small pipe diameter with 90 degree elbows makes running a pipe snake through the system a very difficult and tedious process.
3. There are no clean-out ports installed on the sweep piping runs even though by definition a sweep pipe is carrying a fluid stream that contains debris, that may become clogged and caught.
4. I could not find one commercial plumber willing to work on a pool sweep piping clog. And given the time I later found was necessary for me to clear the obstruction in my piping, the hourly cost to have had aplumber do the job would have been horrendously expensive.
5. I followed all the advice commonly given for using back-flushing using the expanding rubber bladders, etc. and only achieved partial improvement.

Certainly, some may ask why did I let stuff get sucked into the sweep that could clog the pipe? Well, that is the function of the system - it is a vacuum and I am amazed the industry does not promote construction techniques that would plan for an easily foreseeable situation of the sweep piping getting obstructed. My pool was constructed by a reputable pool builder using standard equipment and they did not install recommend any leaf trap canisters, etc. These items probably address part of the issue but still don't help with clearing a clog if it should occur for any reason.

I eventually was able to run a small diamter 25 foot cable drain snake into my system from the pool inlet side and from the Jandy valve side. To navigate the multiple turns I had to carefully adjust the helix diameter and tip angle on the nose of the snake everytime the snake got jammed at a corner and would not proceed. This required inserting and removing the snake many times over and over to perform a tip adjustment. Now that I have the tip adjusted as needed, I can snake the pipes without too much difficulty. None of this would be needed if 45 degree elbows had been used and if clean-out ports had been installed at the major turns between pipe runs. My situation is not unique - I found many in the same situation. Do a search for how to clear a pool piping clog. I even was told by a local pool shop that could put me in touch with an operation that uses compressed air like scuba tanks to blow the lines but this seemed like a real Hail Mary solution.

Anyways, just a thought for those in the industry to consider upping the game and improve the way the plumbing is installed to have features that are forward-looking to assist with maintenance. I know what I would specify if I ever contracted for another pool construction - I want 45s, clean-out ports and an as- built pipe diagram.

Thanks!

That’s why you need one of these in your vacuum hose.

or you can just buy a robot and be done with the vacuum line altogether.

Reactions: Brian Malone
If you get the right sweep elbows, the diameter should be about the same as the pipe.

It is not significantly smaller.

In any case, you should not allow debris to get in the pipe.

You should use a vac-plate or other method of catching sebris before the pipe.

1627934347893.png
1627934172233.png

If you get the right sweep elbows, the diameter should be about the same as the pipe.

It is not significantly smaller.

In any case, you should not allow debris to get in the pipe.

You should use a vac-plate or other method of catching sebris before the pipe.

View attachment 360893
View attachment 360892
Hi James,

I appreciate the datasheets but I did not build my pool - I paid a well known professional to do the details. I don't know if sweep elbows were used or not - my observations are not because I am building a pool or had input into the construction of the one I own. I paid professionals and I am living with what was installed. I won't be changing elbows they are in concrete or underground!

Certainly, some debris should be avoided but the Hayward Navigator sucks whatever it can through its turbine and the leaves and cedar needles that fall in my pool have their own way of collecting as they travel through the piping. The pool builder used the elbows he chose and the pipe sizes he chose. I did as probably most homeowners do and just paid the cost of the pool; I didn't specify anything or know at that time what to specify. The builder of the pool didn't offer a leaf trap as an accessory or even mention considering one. Regardless the issue I experienced is not uncommon and I am missing why this should be no different than a plumbing line in a house. A clean-out or clean-outs would add minor cost and be very helpful when needed.

I am putting my experience out there for those planning a pool to consider when talking with their builder and maybe for builders who are open to considering making a system that assists with upkeep and accommodates the unexpected. Surely the cost of 45 degree elbows and a few well placed clean-outs isn't going to double the cost of a piping job? Yet this would be a huge benefit on the off chance of debris needing to be cleared later in the lifetime of the pool.

Thanks for the ear - the TFP site is great!

in my pool's sweep piping

I don't know if sweep elbows were used or not
Ok, you specifically said sweep plumbing which means the sweep elbows like I posted.

The elbows that I posted are sweep elbows, which are different from regular hard 90 elbows.

The sweeps are better than (2) 45s.

You probably have regular hard 90s.

In any case, you really need to keep debris out of the plumbing if you want to avoid further problems.

All suction plumbing should be 2" and 1.5" should not be used.

That’s why you need one of these in your vacuum hose.

or you can just buy a robot and be done with the vacuum line altogether.
Hi Chief,

Yes, I have learned about leaf canisters. The existence of such an item was not in the equipment list offered by my pool builder and never was mentioned. Now 20 years ago the trees surrounding my yard were much smaller and the risk of obstructing trash was probably lower. I still am at a loss for understanding why the industry does not plan for a reasonable contingency of possible clog in a sweep pipe. The cost to use 45 degree elbows can't be prohibitive. Why fall back on throwing the blame on the pool owner - 'too bad, you shouldn't have let the automatic sweep suck up those cedar needles' -? I don't build pools but the industry I work in has situations where flow in channels may become obstructed and we generally try to design access for the customer or service personnel. Of course, not every situation can be planned for or accommodated but an effort is always made.

Just my open observation on the situation I have experienced. Thanks for the ear - the TFP site is great!

Ok, you specifically said sweep plumbing which means the sweep elbows like I posted.

The elbows that I posted are sweep elbows, which are different from regular hard 90 elbows.

The sweeps are better than (2) 45s.

You probably have regular hard 90s.

In any case, you really need to keep debris out of the plumbing if you want to avoid further problems.

All suction plumbing should be 2" and 1.5" should not be used.

Hi James,

Sorry for the confusion - I am not a plumber or a pool builder so I am calling the unit that vacuums the pool bottom the 'sweep'. So, the vacuum lines that are installed in my pool are 1.5 inch and the skimmer lines are 2 inch. My pool builder used what he used and that is what is there - water under the bridge for me but your sizing guidance is good for those considering building a new pool and are in negotiations on equipment and gear.

Thanks again for the info. The TFP site is very good!

1.5" plumbing and hard 90s are not good for flow.

2" and schedule 40 sweeps would be much better.
Hi James,

Should I be fortunate enough to afford another house and have a pool installed, I will make sure my builder uses the pipe and elbows you have listed! Maybe your recommendations are already on the TFP site as guidance for those planning a new pool build? Those simple items will help ensure optimal flow and reduce/eliminate the pain I have gone through.

Thanks again - TFP is a great resource!

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.