Galion Ohio...Twins drowned in neighbor's pool

ric

Apr 27, 2007
Ohio
debated if i should post this but decided i needed to.

3 yr old twins drowned Friday in Galion Ohio at the next door neighbors house. My heart goes out to both the twins family and the pool owners. The pool was a AGP 16' by 48" deep. The twins had got away and were found in the pool. The girl was dead and the boy is in the hospital still. I have not seen any update for the boy.

The pool owner received 2 citations. code for Galion was a fence 5' high. There was no fence.
Also ridged PVC was used and they are speculating that is how the kids climbed in. Pool owner received citation for changing the pool plumbing to ridged PVC.

Pools are sold every day at Walmart and similar stores but they just sell them. It is the pool owner's responsibility to check these codes to install a pool.

Check you pools
Ric. W :(

heart breaking...we are also in Ohio but, I did not hear the story (were about 2.5 hrs from there)

I can't imagine the pain the family must be going thru :(

chris

I saw another article last week that I printed for my wife...'secondary drowning' where a kid (10 year old boy, I think) had swallowed water while swimming and drowned that night in his bed (not sure if he coughed it up or exactly how it happened)...
so of course we need to remind our kids not to swallow water, etc.

A 10 year old drowned that way in Charleston SC, we are a few towns away. I saw the doctor interviewed on the news. The little boy complained of being tired and laid down at home. The doctor said to watch for signs of confusion or overly tired after choking on water, or signs of neurological symtoms. I am glad I watched the interview cuz sometimes our grands get choked and I am now more aware of the danger now and know to watch them afterwards even though they seem to recover at that point. I'm not going to change a lot about our rules for our pool cuz I believe we have good safe rules; but I will pay a lot more attention for a much longer time period if they do appear to get choked.

certainly sad, but why not cite the parents of the three year olds for letting their kids wander the neighborhood unsupervised? I'm not implying the pool owner isn't at fault to some degree, but the bottom line is my kids are MY kids and it's MY responsibility to keep them safe - not my neighbors.

tagprod,
this is true...why were 3yr olds just walking around???
I have little ones (3 & 6yrs) and I am with them 24/7...no wandering around here.

but, either way their babies are gone and nothing can change that now...people do need to be aware (both sides) there will always be kids around without supervision (see it daily at local parks)...you are just stand there thinking "where is your mom" :)

Chris

New York updated it's rules in Dec. 2006.

Some of the new things.

The term “swimming pool” means any structure, basin, chamber or tank which is intended for swimming, diving, recreational bathing or wading and which contains, is designed to contain, or is capable of containing water more 24 inches (610 mm) deep at any point. This includes in-ground, above-ground and on-ground pools; indoor pools; hot tubs; spas; and fixed-in-place wading pools.

Pool alarms. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (e) of this section, each residential swimming pool installed, constructed or substantially modified after December 14, 2006 and each commercial swimming pool installed, constructed or substantially modified after December 14, 2006 shall be equipped with an approved pool alarm which:

(1) is capable of detecting a child entering the water and giving an audible alarm when it detects a child entering the water;

(2) is audible poolside and at another location on the premises where the swimming pool is located;

(3) is installed, used and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions;

(4) is classified by Underwriters Laboratory, Inc. (or other approved independent testing laboratory) to:

(i) reference standard ASTM F2208, entitled “Standard Specification for Pool Alarms,” as adopted in 2002 and editorially corrected in June 2005, published by ASTM International, 100 Barr Harbor Drive, West Conshohocken, PA 19428, or

(ii) reference standard ASTM F2208, entitled “Standard Specification for Pool Alarms,” as adopted in 2007, published by ASTM International, 100 Barr Harbor Drive, West Conshohocken, PA 19428; and

(5) is not an alarm device which is located on person(s) or which is dependent on device(s) located on person(s) for its proper operation.

(d) Multiple pool alarms. A pool alarm installed pursuant to subdivision (c) of this section must be capable of detecting entry into the water at any point on the surface of the swimming pool. If necessary to provide detection capability at every point on the surface of the swimming pool, more than one pool alarm shall be installed.

(e) Exemptions.

(1) A hot tub or spa equipped with a safety cover classified by Underwriters Laboratory, Inc. (or other approved independent testing laboratory) to reference standard ASTM F1346 (2003), entitled “Standard Performance Specification for Safety Covers and Labeling Requirements for All Covers for Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs,” published by ASTM International, 100 Barr Harbor Drive, West Conshohocken, PA 19428, shall be exempt from the requirements of subdivisions (c) and (d) of this section.

(2) Any swimming pool (other than a hot tub or spa) equipped with an automatic power safety cover classified by Underwriters Laboratory, Inc. (or other approved independent testing laboratory) to reference standard ASTM F1346 (2003), entitled “Standard Performance Specification for Safety Covers and Labeling Requirements for All Covers for Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs,” published by ASTM International, 100 Barr Harbor Drive, West Conshohocken, PA 19428, shall be exempt from the requirements of subdivisions (c) and (d) of this section.

The term “substantial modification” means any repair reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition, or improvement of a swimming pool, the cost of which equals or exceeds 50 percent of the market value of the swimming pool before the repair, rehabilitation, addition, or improvement is started. If a swimming pool has sustained substantial damage, any repairs are considered to be a substantial modification regardless of the actual repair work performed.

That is very sad and you hear alot of that every summer. Everyone has to teach their children to respect water and never go in a pool, lake, etc. without permission from their parents.

Don't know where the parents were but IMO both were at fault. When I built my pool I only needed a pool cage if I didn't have a pool cage I needed a fence. I got both because I didn't want that to every happen in my pool. I also put the locks for the pool cage up about 4 1/2 ft so little ones couldn't open the door. My daughter was 1 1/2 when we got the pool and I always instructed her that she wasn't allowed out there any time without an adult and she never tried but of course doors were locked and I had alarm on doors for the pool area.

Two citations: one for no 5 foot fence (I can see that one if it is their code), but the other citation for "changing the pool plumbing to ridged PVC." I never heard of that.

I guess the five foot fence rule means an AG pool's plain sides can not act as its fence.

In the town near where we live, it's the same thing: 5 foot tall fences, and if the sides of an AGP is less than 5 feet, it needs a fence. We are, however, in the county, so we have different codes. Our code is 4 foot tall sides, ladder has to be made inaccessable (either swing up or caged), and there can't be anything around that kids can climb.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update on Twins in Galion:

The mother fell asleep on the couch as her twins were sleeping(cant say we all havent done it before) and the little ones got out of the house, went to the neighbors, who the nite before had just put up a little self rising pool. Yes the pool owners were wrong for NOT taking the ladder out of the pool. Neither are being charged with anything in this ordeal. They have since removed the pool and the little boy is doing better at Nationwide Childrens Hospital. I live 2 house from the kids father and it is Totally heartbreaking. We had the twins over many times last summer to play with us in our pool and not having them to swim with us this year is terrible.

Just remember that a child can drowned in less than 6" of water and to me my fence was more than worth it.

God Bless the Fetter Family :cry: :cry:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.