Future pool owner from Houston, TX

spoolboy

Sep 12, 2020
Texas
Hello all. We have started getting quote to build a swimming pool in our backyard. We didn't have any pool before (no experience), and we will be totally new to this world! I hope we can have your input/comments about our future pool/equipment. Thank you.

BTW, I had been told by few pool owners to have saltwater (instead of chlorine) and DE (instead of cartridge for the filter). But all the pool builders, whom I interviewed, were against saltwater (due its corrosiveness to coping, water features and equipment) and DE (because it needs backwashing). What is your recommendation? I am asking since I noticed (from the posts) that some pool owners, who used to have chlorine, changed theirs to saltwater. I don't want to regret the wrong decision later and bear the new expenses (and time) to convert the chlorine to salt water (and/or cartridge filter to DE)

Saltwater pools *are* Chlorine pools. Its just a way that allows the SWCG device to manufacture the chlorine rather than the owners pouring it in themselves daily.

There are 3 types of filters- sand, cartridge or DE. Backwashing is a way of clearing out the debris caught in the filter.

Read some articles from our PoolSchool section-->
www.troublefreepool.com/blog/category/pool-school/pool-equipment/

Maddie

Reactions: spoolboy
Welcome to the forum! :wave:You found the right place!

I see you already have a thread asking about the SWG with lots a responses. You will be hard pressed to find someone here that doesn't like them.

When you are ready to get suggestions about your new pool build make a thread in the appropriate forum. Reading other build threads from other members is a great source of ideas, no doubt you already found them!

Reactions: spoolboy