Frustrated with green and cloudy

PoolMom1031

Aug 17, 2020
Ohio
Hello! I’m new here and I landed here because I’m frustrated with the pool $tore run around. We are prepping our pool for SLAM, but need to dilute the CYA first by having a water hauler come in and refill.
FC 14.5
pH 7.4
TA 120
CH 420
CYA 120
We have recently had a metal problem that we thought we were addressing, but with having to have the FC down so much, I think we have an algae problem now. We flocked the pool with a lot of success, but now we are back to square one with green and extremely cloudy. I can see a difference in metal green/cloudy and algae green/cloudy that I think we’re dealing with now. Got my water tested and it read 0 iron and .2ppm of copper. Can I assume the metals are taken care of and my only problem now is taking care of CYA and algae?

After the water comes tomorrow, and if my CYA is low enough, how should I proceed for SLAM...just start? Or should I let FC drop and use a sequestrant?

thanks in advance!

First and foremost, WELCOME TO TFP!

How much water are you draining and replacing? Also, are you on a well or is your iron issues from products like “The Frog” or algaecide use??

Thank you for the welcome - this is an amazing site.
We are on well water and I think our metal problem came from that and algicide before we knew better about copper in algicides.
We are starting with about a 10% drain and getting 2,600 gal put back in (we have also had several days of rain since CYA was tested). We will remeasure CYA and evaluate.

10% drain will reduce your CYA by that same amount. 120 becomes 108. Ideally you get it down to about 30 for your SLAM, which requires a 75% drain.

You could start with an OCLT to determine conclusively if you need to SLAM or not. You can do that tonight, before the new water comes. If you do have algae, deal with that first. If it turns out you have both algae and metals, you still deal with the algae first. If it clears up with a SLAM alone, then you're all set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.