Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have friends with an above ground pool and a sand filter. They cannot keep their water from being green. Unfortunately, they've been listening to the pool store too much and when I tested their water last year, the CYA was higher than I could test with my TFT kit.

They think it's their pump, based, again, on the pool store advice.

Obviously they need to bring the CYA down (they don't seem to understand it's so high it's essentially impossible to properly shock SLAM Process

Algae is a chemistry problem, not a filter problem. If they're SLAMing the water, that chlorine goes thru the filter too and would be killing it there also.

That's not to say the sand filter wouldn't benefit probably from a good deep cleaning, but that isn't going to cure the algae by itself.

Maddie :flower:

Algae is a chemistry problem, not a filter problem. If they're SLAMing the water, that chlorine goes thru the filter too and would be killing it there also.

That's not to say the sand filter wouldn't benefit probably from a good deep cleaning, but that isn't going to cure the algae by itself.

Maddie :flower:
They can't slam. The cya is 200 or whatever the max you can read from the tft test kit. They think if they throw a couple of gallons of chlorine into a 15k gallon pool, they've shocked it.

I have yet to meet a fellow TFPer up here, everyone I talk to uses pucks.
I can show them my pool and explain how it takes ten minutes a day to maintain.
I can show them how to test with an oto or taylor kit.
I can take half an hour and explain the cya/fc relationship to them.
I advise them to drain/scrub and refill when things go south, most just add bluestone and call it good enough bleh

I have yet to meet a fellow TFPer up here, everyone I talk to uses pucks.
I can show them my pool and explain how it takes ten minutes a day to maintain.
I can show them how to test with an oto or taylor kit.
I can take half an hour and explain the cya/fc relationship to them.
I advise them to drain/scrub and refill when things go south, most just add bluestone and call it good enough bleh
Nailed it. Last year, they went right back to the pool store...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.