Fresh Water Pool Refill in Sydney, Australia... What next?

SydneySwan

Feb 5, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Greetings from Sydney!

It’s great to be onboard at TFP and an initial thank you for all the fantastic information on and contributors to the site!

I’ve just refilled my inground pool with fresh water, following a complete epoxy resurface... A mammoth solo project and happy to share some pics / feedback if anyone is interested...

My CCL test kit arrived and I have done the first series of tests... Results are as follows:

ph = 7.8 approx
(water colour appeared slightly more “pink” than the 7.8 colour reference)
FC = 0
TA= 40
CH = 60
CYA = 0

I have entered all the figures in the Pool Math calculator and would kindly like to request some further help on the initial chemicals and quantities to add to the pool, before the algae bloom sets in...

For example, to up the FC, is the best option to select “bleach” as the santitizer (for liquid chlorine) and should the average bleach / chlorine % be 13 (for a typical liquid chlorine, say Hy-Chlor from Bunnings)?

Understand that it’s important to up the CYA, so stabilizer in a sock by the outlet... Should I just begin with 2kg and then keep topping up (Pool math had recommended 11kg... that’s a big sock ?).

Also, the pool has a SWG, so was wondering when to start loading in the salt... And how much?

Hopefully, my signature fills in some of the other blanks and thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes

Adrian

D'day Adrian and welcome to TFP! :wave: For your questions:
- Definitely get some bleach in there right away to avoid algae. You still need to increase the CYA, so add enough bleach to increase the FC to about 3 ppm for now.
- At the same time, yes, use the sock method to get stabilizer dissolving. If this was a new plaster job, you would probably wait 30 days before turning on the SWG and/or adding the salt, but you mentioned epoxy, so honestly I'm not sure and will have to solicit the help of someone else like @bdavis466 or @JamesW to confirm. So for now, just use the PoolMath tool or APP to determine a dosage that will get your CYA to about 30-40. Once you do that, keep the FC balanced accordingly as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Make sure to squeeze the sock often to help it dissolve.
- Again, because you stated epoxy, I"m going to defer the CH level to those guys as well. 60 would be low for plaster, but not sure about the epoxy product. Standby for more replies.
- On the PoolMath tool (or APP), just make sure to update the percentage strength of your local bleach. If it doesn't list 13%, just use 12 which should get you close enough.
- Your TA is a bit low. You might consider adding just enough baking soda to increase the TA to at least 50, maybe even 60 if you can.

I think that's about it for now until the other guys chime in. Congrats on the refurb project. Enjoy the weekend. :swim:

Greetings from Sydney!

It’s great to be onboard at TFP and an initial thank you for all the fantastic information on and contributors to the site!

I’ve just refilled my inground pool with fresh water, following a complete epoxy resurface... A mammoth solo project and happy to share some pics / feedback if anyone is interested...

My CCL test kit arrived and I have done the first series of tests... Results are as follows:

ph = 7.8 approx
(water colour appeared slightly more “pink” than the 7.8 colour reference)
FC = 0
TA= 40
CH = 60
CYA = 0

I have entered all the figures in the Pool Math calculator and would kindly like to request some further help on the initial chemicals and quantities to add to the pool, before the algae bloom sets in...

For example, to up the FC, is the best option to select “bleach” as the santitizer (for liquid chlorine) and should the average bleach / chlorine % be 13 (for a typical liquid chlorine, say Hy-Chlor from Bunnings)?

Understand that it’s important to up the CYA, so stabilizer in a sock by the outlet... Should I just begin with 2kg and then keep topping up (Pool math had recommended 11kg... that’s a big sock ?).

Also, the pool has a SWG, so was wondering when to start loading in the salt... And how much?

Hopefully, my signature fills in some of the other blanks and thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes

Adrian

one urgent thing
for 40k liter pool to take your CYA to 50 use ONLY 2kg of dry CYA

bunnings 15l chlorine is 12.5%

i think you left the default volume as gallons in poolmath change it to liters

btw welcome to the forum

Thank you for the welcome gentlemen and the great advice... And spot on @AusPhil with the default volume being set to gallons.

Have set the levels and added the chemicals as suggested... Will keep testing and fingers crossed the pool stays as crystal clear as it is as the moment!

Cheers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.