Freezing weather coming

hitech_hillbilly

Mar 7, 2021
NW Arkansas
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We're having a fluke weather pattern come in and the low is 25F tomorrow night.

I haven't had a chance to learn about winterizing. What all do I need to do to prepare for this freezing?

Do I just need to drain the pump, sand filter, chlorinator, and all piping?

What about the skimmer hanging out in the open? I don't have a way to get water out of it without draining the pool down.

If it is just one night, turn on your pump and leave it on until the freeze is over. You could also put a 60 watt light under a tarp on the equipment pad if able.

I open my pool early in April every year. In Ohio this happens every year at least once after I open my pool. It is actually going to happen here this week. Remember it is only going to be below freezing for a couple of hours. Usually the day before and the day after the temps are quite a bit above freezing. Check your hourly forecast to be sure. Running your filter should be fine. I have never had a problem. I am no expert but it takes a lot of time at continual temperatures below freezing to do damage.

Reactions: mknauss
If it is just one night, turn on your pump and leave it on until the freeze is over.
Exactly this. We have a dozen nights a year here in N. Central Alabama where temps hit the mid-20's or lower. Unless you're looking at temps below freezing for an extended period - more than 24 hours or so - just run it continuously on high and you should have no issues. I've done a lot of research and found that even with no flow, 1.5" Sch 40 pipe takes about 8 hours to freeze at 20 degrees. I still use freeze protection on my pump as a safeguard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.